Women’s Center Hosts 32nd Annual ‘Take Back The Night’ March

Shawndia Jones

Protesters held posters as they marched through campus.

Savanna Yelling, Managing Editor

The Central Connecticut State University Ruthe Boyea Women’s Center hosted their annual Take Back the Night event and march on Tuesday. 

“No justice, no peace!” students yelled as they marched around campus. This march was to reclaim the night and protest violence against women, and has been a tradition at CCSU for 33 years.  

“Central Connecticut State University began hosting the march in 1990 in response to a sexual assault case on our campus,” Valeryn Fernandez, a student organizer of the event, said.  

The Women’s Center describes the event as a space where people can learn about and share stories of the effects of sexual assault. 

Attendees included President Toro, students, professors and on and off campus sponsors such as the LGBTQ+ Center and the Young Women’s Christian Association New Britain.  

Keynote speakers Donnell Clark and Alisa Rodriguez shared their personal accounts of sexual assault and violence by family members.  

Other attendees, students and staff members alike, volunteered to share their stories. Several speakers admitted they did not plan on sharing their stories upon arriving at the event.  

Victoria Luciano, a junior, is a Violence Prevention Student Coordinator at the Women’s Center where she works on community awareness and program development involving sexual assault and domestic violence.  

Tuesday was Luciano’s first time marching for this cause and she said it was a night to remember. 

“I was proud of us all for coming together and making our voices heard across campus” Luciano said. “It was extremely empowering, and I will not forget that feeling.” 

As a violence prevention coordinator, Luciano said she hopes that people at the event took away information that raises their awareness on sexual assault. 

“It is an issue that does not discriminate and affects people of all backgrounds and gender identities,” Luciano said. “Our voice is our most powerful tool, and we will continue to use it.” 

Luisa “Lulu” Temponi, a freshman who attended the event, said she took away exactly what Luciano hoped for. 

“My perspective changed a lot based on hearing the speakers,” Temponi said. “I never realized how many people experience sexual violence and abuse.” 

Temponi said she came to the event to support survivors and left with a new approach to the issue. 

“I knew it wouldn’t be easy to listen to but it’s important to hear people’s stories,” Temponi said. “One message that I took away is that if you see something, say something.” 

CCSU offers a mobile app, “LiveSafe” which allows students to report incidents to campus police, use virtual escorts and place emergency calls that CSSU Police Department Office Kelly Ducharme promoted at the event.  

“I didn’t know there was an app that I could use if I were in a dangerous situation,” Temponi said. “CCSU should make sure that their students know about it.”