Governor Announces Innovation Fellowship for Seniors

Megan Brawner, Copy Editor

Governor Ned Lemont has launched a new initiative in partnership with CTNext and Connecticut Innovations to form the Governor’s Innovation Fellowship (“GIF”).

The Stamford 2020 GIF Program is accepting applications until March 1, with recruitment beginning in the fall. The applications will be reviewed by a Stamford-based panel of business leaders and executives.

The program will match 20 graduates of Connecticut universities with jobs at innovative Stamford corporations. Aside from being placed with a corporation, fellows will have the opportunity for professional growth through mentorships, professional development events, incentives and networking opportunities. Fellows will also receive a $5,000 Fellowship prize along with full-time salary and benefits. 

Octagon, Trebel, Henkel, Sema4, Pitney Bowes and ISG are among the several companies hiring fellows. Applicants of the fellowship are required to go through the hiring process at each company.

In order to be eligible, candidates must be a graduating senior of a Connecticut university or college, must be willing to accept an offer for a technology-related, or STEM-focused position and must be a Connecticut resident by August of 2020. International students are welcome to apply, but the agreement with the partner companies does not guarantee visa sponsorship. 

Positions include data analytics, marketing technology, engineering, computer programming and software development. However, preference will be given to STEM-focused positions. 

Lamont’s initiative was launched following a study that shows STEM occupations are projected to have an estimated 705,000 annual average openings from now until the year 2028, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 

As STEM-aligned companies hiring expands, the mission of the Stamford 2020 GIF Program is to provide recent graduates with the opportunity to work at innovative companies in the city. The community of fellows will strive to foster an environment of professional growth and to create a cohort of talent and comradery throughout the state.