The Recorder

Comments (3)

All The Recorder Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• H

huxNov 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Central is unlikely to locate academic departments downtown. It's better for the students to have academics in one central location. But there are some things the city can do.

— Create bikes lanes from CCSU to downtown, and in other locations. Does New Britain have any bike lanes? Many students do use bicycles, and New Britain can be lot more accommodating to students by ensuring that they can ride safely on the major routes. Many urban areas are putting in bike lanes, and that alone encourages bicycle commuting.

— Build a bus shelter facility, with security, near the new busway and include secure parking for bicycles.

— Install more bike locking stations throughout downtown.

— Make New Britain more hospitable to the students. Focus on their needs. Why? Because many CCSU grads will remain in Central Connecticut as they start their careers. The data supports that. Check with the Alumni office. Work to keep these grads in New Britain. Develop low-cost housing in downtown, studios and one-bedrooms, near the bus lines.
    .
    The real asset that CCSU bring to New Britain are its students. Think about them. The old model of trying to squeeze more money out the state legislature for capital funding has run its course. By creating an environment that supports students post-graduation, New Britain can build a stronger community and more lively downtown area.

Every mayor in the last 30 years has tried to encourage CCSU to increase its presence. CCSU has made a modest contribution to that end, but to little effect.

Young people are New Britain's greatest future asset. Encourage them to remain here.

Reply
  • S

stanleystreetOct 31, 2013 at 9:05 am

There are statements in this article that are untrue, to put it mildly. 1. Tim O'Brien did not grow up in New Britain. 2. Taxes went up. If my reval decreased my property value yet I am still paying the same or higher tax, that is a tax increase. 3. Tim O'Brien did not graduate from college. Why didn't you tell us what ordinances were enacted? The 'landlord fee' levied only on out of town landlords? Why were they unfairly singled out- um, because they don't vote? Then hiring a PR firm to explain this stuff to residents at the tune of $100,000? Didn't see the word 'blight' anywhere, surprising. His proposal of a 911 hot spot fee- penalizing people for calling 911 too often? "City's", not "cities". His budget lines anticipating doubling and tripling of marriage license and parking fee income to the city? His back door dealing to get Oktoberfest off the ground at the last minute- signing an 8 year contract with local restaurant owner to run the yet-unproven event? Counting on the parking garage fees for the city profit for the event and then unilaterally making the parking free when he realized people just weren't going to attend? His COSTCO flip-flop? His calling of emergency meetings of his council on non-emergency issues simply to avoid the requirement of public debate as in a regular meeting? Lying, outright lying repeatedly, about getting HUD funds to pay the salary of the community organizer he hired? Stealing Halloween event from local businessperson who successfully got an event off the ground solely with support of local individuals and businesses- as in, with no government 'help'? As landlord of the first floor of the new police station, a sweetheart deal to a crony (already tens of thousands behind in city taxes) of $542/mo rent for the ice cream parlor ($1083 after year two) – and the city is doing the 'build-out' for it as well? HUH? Ending any open door / open office hours at the mayor's office? Putting a gag order on all of city hall not to talk to a local newspaper NBCJ? Even if you only believe half of what I've written here, you have to agree that something stinks in New Britain.

Reply
  • N

Nick MercierOct 31, 2013 at 8:10 am

Just a few corrections that need to be made. O’Brien did not grow up in NB. Personally I don’t think it matters, but if he said he did in an interview he is lying. Second, O’Brien did not graduate from CCSU or any other college. He attended CCSU for a semester or two and then dropped out.

Finally, O’Brien raised taxes. The tax rate went up 20%. This affects the rent of every CCSU student. Register your car in New Britain? Taxes went up there too. On top of that, the mayor is raising every imaginable fee and fine on the books.

Reply
Activate Search
Mayor O’Brien Hopes To Integrate University With Downtown Area