Kaprelyan Steps Up As Setter

Julia Jade Moran

Kaprelyan has averaged a double-double since her move to setter.

Ryan Jones, Assistant Sports Editor

“I just want to win.”

No matter what’s been thrown at the Central Connecticut junior volleyball star Madelyn Kaprelyan, the goal has remained the same, to win. One of the biggest challenges Kaprelyan has faced in volleyball came this season, when Central’s starting senior setter, Kaitlyn Kushman, went down with an injury during their out of conference game against Northeastern. This left Kushman sidelined and Central without an answer for her loss. Despite no collegiate experience at setting, Kaprelyan stepped up to fill Kushman’s absence.

The former opposite hitter has done more than fill a role for the Blue Devils. Since her move to setter, CCSU has been 3-1 and Kaprelyan’s already great play has only increased. Over these four games, the sophomore has averaged a double-double, good for an average of 15.25 assists per game (as opposed to zero the previous nine games) and 12.25 kills. The change in position did not change Kaprelyan’s attitude or goals for games, as she explains that she “comes in every game with the same attack mentality.”

This cool-headed, attack mentality has fared well for the junior thus far. Before her move to setter, Kaprelyan dominated as an opposite hitter. In an impressive freshman campaign, Kaprelyan logged three matches with 10+ kills while averaging 2.09 kills per set.

As a sophomore, Kaprelyan was named to the Northeastern All-Conference Team while leading the Blue Devils with 2.69 kills per set throughout the season.

Despite high expectations set for Kaprelyan’s junior season, she still “didn’t have any personal goals” but wanted to “always stay aggressive.”

The Blue Devils are on a roll right now, winning in their first three Northeast Conference games of the year. To continue this streak of success, Kaprelyan believes the Blue Devils “just need to stay relaxed and remember how we play. If we play how we do in practice and each individually do our job, we can compete.”

Before CCSU, Kaprelyan was doing much of the same in some warmer temperatures. Growing up in California, she landed numerous accolades in both club and high school volleyball. In 2015 alone, Kaprelyan was named All-Tournament Team for the American Division Junior Olympics, earned most valuable player of the Sunset League and was Huntington High School MVP.

But the move across the country came easy for the Californian.

“When I came for my visit, it was a great experience.” Kaprelyan again attributed her team, explaining how “coach [Sagnelli] made me feel comfortable moving so far away from my family, and all of the girls were really welcoming,” though Kaprelyan admitted that it is “a little colder” here in Connecticut.

As the Blue Devils continue on with their season, Kaprelyan will remain a staple in the offense.