Loda Steps In Behind The Dish

Patrick Gustavson, Sports Editor

When Sam Loda came to Central Connecticut in 2018, he was the clear heir apparent to the catcher job that had been held down for four years by Nick Garland.

But Loda was thrust into action sooner than expected due to injuries, but hardly behind the dish, as he caught just five times on the season.

Instead, Loda was deployed at first base, a position he had never played before.

“It was something different. I just had to make an adjustment,” Loda said. “The coaches worked with me a lot, helped me out a lot and taught me how to play the position. It’s just kind of getting used to it.”

But playing all over the diamond was nothing new to Loda, as in addition to his duties behind the plate, he had spent a lot of time at shortstop.

“From Little League until like high school, I played shortstop. In summer ball, I played shortstop, too,” Loda said. “I can kind of play anywhere on the field, but catcher is my favorite.”

Though catching a lot as a kid, it wasn’t until his freshman year in high school where Loda “first started to love it.”

Loda made 23 appearances on the season behind the dish, at first and designated hitter. The freshman hit just .189 on the season.

Despite the lack of production and collegiate experience behind the plate, Loda was still slated to be the starting catcher entering the 2019 season, a move made in confidence by head coach Charlie Hickey.

“I truly believe Sammy is going to be a special player for us,” Hickey said prior to the season.

Loda has started all but one game at catcher so far this season and his production at the plate has improved. Though hitting just .210 on the season, he has three multi-hit games and is currently carrying a three-game hitting streak.

An RBI ground-rule double extended his team’s lead in a tight matchup against Saint Peter’s on March 16.

But Loda’s biggest impact has come behind the plate, throwing out 31 percent of attempted base stealers and calling games for a veteran pitching staff who has been strong on the season.

Despite not catching them a lot last season, Loda said the on-field relationships were built over the offseason.

“Offering to catch their bullpens, working with them a lot in the fall,” Loda said. “I’m lucky enough to be friends with a good amount of them. I try to treat them like my favorite because the pitchers have to do well.”

“Sammy is awesome,” junior starting pitcher Brandon Fox said. “He works really hard and does a great job. He knows the game really well and he does a great job of receiving. Sometimes, if I fall off badly, he’s able to keep me on, he keeps me confident.”

“Getting ahead in a lot of counts, throwing a lot of first-pitch strikes, good off-speed and then getting the ground ball, getting double plays when we need them. They’re doing really good with that,” Loda said of the strengths of the pitching staff.

Loda said a lot of his ability to work with the pitching staff comes from Nick Garland, who is now a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates organization.

“Nick taught me a lot about the game. He taught me how to talk to pitchers, how to deal with pitchers. He taught me about to look at it and call games and really how to control pitchers and control the game,” Loda said.

Loda said the key to success for him for the rest of the season is working hard and preparing behind the plate and sticking to his approach at the plate. Not only will Loda likely have a major impact on the program this year, but the next two years to come.