Roma McLaughlin: Her Time To Shine

Trevi Alickolli, Assistant Sports Editor

After rolling through the competition en route to their ninth Northeast Conference Championship in 2018, Central Connecticut has plenty of question marks heading into the 2019 season after losing a handful of productive seniors.

Sophomore captain midfielder Roma McLaughlin is not one of them.

McLaughlin is the reigning NEC Rookie of the Year after a two goal, five assist freshman campaign that included a lot of minutes in the playoffs.

“It has really helped, I think a lot of minutes in the tournament is gonna help any player become comfortable in their sport,” said McLaughlin about her freshman campaign.

Long-time CCSU head coach Mick D’Arcy, who is the program’s winningest head coach, has proven he knows a good player when he sees one and was impressed by McLaughlin.

“She had a great year for us last year,” said D’Arcy. “We’re really happy with how she played.”

The road to being a Blue Devil and a champion has not always been easy for McLaughlin, who originated from Moville Community College in Ireland. But her leadership and maturity seemed to be there from an early age.

The sophomore captain proved she was wise beyond her years when she was presented an opportunity to come to the United States when she finished high school years ago, but she declined. She claimed she “was not ready.”

“I went to college in Ireland and I always thought I’d be coming to America,” said McLaughlin. “But I think coming at the age of 23 really helped me and I was prepared.”

Her maturity on and off the field also may have helped her earn the title of one of the best players on the team and team captain one year later.

“It’s leadership on the field, it’s leadership off the field,” said coach D’Arcy. “Obviously, she’s a very good player but she also brings out the best in the players around her.”

He continues, “The game isn’t about Roma and for a player that’s as good as she is, she never makes it about herself.”

“I’m a different type of captain. I wouldn’t say much off the field, but on the field, I like to lead by example,” said McLaughlin about her leadership. “Do the right things and work hard so that other people have someone to follow.”

Make no mistake about it, beyond her leadership, McLaughlin also delivers on the field.

Two games into the young season, she already has scored her first goal and is only looking to get better the only way she knows how, “working harder.”

Aside from her own performance, her team is still actively trying to repeat as NEC champions and she knows it will be no easy task.

“I think it’s going to be a lot harder because everyone will be out to get us, but I think it all starts with hard work and believing we can get back up there,” said McLaughlin confidently.

Coach D’Arcy seems to be comfortable with the departures his team is facing from last season, stating “it’s part of the game,” but also seems confident heading into the future in part due to his 23-year-old sophomore captain.

“Now it’s her time to step up and shine,” said D’Arcy.