Covello Continues To Make An Impact

Patrick Gustavson, Sports Editor

When Jenna Rae Covello came to Central Connecticut in 2017, she had no idea what kind of impact she would have on the school’s women’s soccer program.

She came from Terryville High School, where she was a three-time all-state selection. Despite the success, she was one of the last players recruited by CCSU’s team for the 2017 season.

“ I came here as basically a walk-on,” Covello said. “I didn’t think I’d have as much of an impact, but I worked really hard and the team really welcomed me.”

Head coach Mick D’Arcy said he knew Covello from her time playing at Farmington Sports Arena and saw the potential she possessed.

“She’s someone we knew had potential to get better and better [and] I think it’s shown. She’s the type of player to develop and get better,” D’Arcy said.

Despite perhaps being overlooked, she proved she was meant to be there when she netted five goals, connecting on nearly 69 percent of her shots on goal. The five goals were good enough to lead the Blue Devils and an assist to boot also gave her the team-high in a total of 11 points.

“I was hungry for goals. I wanted to show that I can make an impact,” Covello said of her success. “I did what I had to do to get it done.”

“She’s got pace. She creates space and is able to get by people,” D’Arcy said of Covello’s play. “She’s a competitor. There are no lost causes. She chases everything down.”

Covello appeared in all 18 contests for the Blue Devils last season, but only started in five, making a vast majority of her appearances off the bench. She felt she brought great energy and a spark off the bench.

With the Blue Devils losing five players to graduation, Covello will have to step up both on and off the field. She will likely see even more playing time and has even started the first two contests for the team.

Despite being in just her second year, Covello said she tried to be a leader through her positivity.

“I try to have positive energy. I never say anything negative on the field,” she said. “I feel as though sometimes we get down on ourselves and it gets hectic if we’re down a goal or tied, so I try to keep the energy high and make as much of an impact as I can.”

Covello’s on-field success played a key factor in the Blue Devils’ run to a third-place finish in the Northeast Conference and a berth in the conference tournament. Her repeated success would be instrumental in their return to the tournament, something Covello feels is very possible.

“I think this team is a very strong team,” she said. “I think we can make it to the NEC finals. I think we can win the NEC finals. I think if we can keep it up, I think we have a very good chance.”