CCSU Director Of Student Conduct Arrested For Kidnapping, Strangulation

by Angela Fortuna and Sarah Willson

Christopher Dukes, director of the Office of Student Conduct at Central Connecticut, has been placed on administrative leave after being charged with first-degree kidnapping and strangulation, the Hartford Courant first reported.

Court records obtained by The Recorder show that Dukes was arrested by Hartford police last Wednesday and appeared in Hartford Superior Court Monday at 10 a.m.

The Hartford Courant reported that Dukes allegedly “grabbed a woman in a chokehold before bringing her to the basement of a Hartford home, binding her with duct tape, punching her and threatening to kill her,” according to the police report.

According to the report, Dukes was charged with first-degree kidnapping, first-degree strangulation, second-degree threatening, third-degree assault, second-degree breach of peace and risk of injury to a child.

According to the Hartford Courant, officers also reported finding a “cache of firearms” in a Hartford home, which included as many as nine handguns, a shotgun, a rifle and half a dozen boxes of “assorted” ammunition. The Hartford Courant also reported that after his hearing, Duke will be monitored by GPS and must have a “mental-health evaluation conducted.”

“At this time, I am limited as to how much I can share with you because it is a personnel matter, but know that I am extremely concerned about the situation,” CCSU President Dr. Zulma Toro said in an email statement to students. “[Dukes has been notified] that he is not allowed access to campus until the University conducts an investigation into this matter. As always, we must abide by the principles of due process.”

“We have taken measures to ensure services and support offered to our students through the Office of Student Conduct continue and that our campus remains a safe environment for all,” Dr. Toro said in a press release.  

He was released after posting $450,000 bail.

“I feel like Dr. Toro and [the CCSU administration] are taking the proper measures, regardless that it was off-campus,” Student Government Association President-Elect Kassandra “Kass” Fruin said. “All the people who have talked about it today in front of me have had good experiences. I have a friend who was helped by Chris in her case as a student and is feeling uneasy about the news.”

Dr. Toro said that for now, Peter Troiano, Interim Vice President of Student Affairs, is working with Stephanie Reis, assistant director of the Office of Student Conduct, to “ensure services and support offered to our students through the Office of Student Conduct continue as usual and that our campus remains a safe environment for all.”

The Criminal Court decided that Dukes’ case will be continued to May 7, after a brief hearing hold on Monday morning.