CCSU Temporarily Closes Campus Due To Coronavirus

Isabella Chan, Editor-In-Chief

Central Connecticut announces the campus will be suspending majority of on-campus activity till April 5 as a precautionary measure against the global spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

In a public email, President Dr. Zulma R. Toro stated that following spring break, all classes will be taught in an “online-only format” to at least April 5. Faculty and students are asked to collect all materials needed to conduct at-home learning, including textbooks, laptops and other items.

Those without proper materials are asking to contact [email protected] for assistance.

“As one might expect, the situation and conditions are changing by the day—sometimes by the hour,” Dr. Toro stated. “Be assured that we continue to work closely with [Connecticut State Colleges & Universities] President Mark Ojakian, the Connecticut Public Health Department and the Governor’s Office to maintain a safe and healthy learning environment for all members of our campus community.”

This announcement has come after a number of other state college and universities decided to take precautionary measures as well, such as University of New Haven, Yale University, Southern Connecticut State University and Western Connecticut State University.

CCSU public facilities will be temporarily closed during this time. This will include the Student Center, Huang Recreation Center, Elihu Burritt Library ESports Center, dining halls, Student Technology Center, Detrick Gymnasium and Welte Auditorium.

All events, including games, meets and practices, scheduled to take place during this time have been cancelled or will be postponed as well.

Along with this, all residence halls will be closing on Friday, March 13 at 4 p.m. and will not be reopened until Sunday, April 5, the earliest. Residence Life staff is working to create accommodations for students who were planning to remain in residence halls during spring break or have peculiar living circumstances.

Faculty, staff and students are advised to beware of symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath, as they can range from mild to severe. Those confirmed with COVID-19 should refrain from physical contact with others and remain in isolation or quarantine until further notice from doctors.

As safety measures are continuing to take place, it is recommended to continue to check www.ccsu.edu/coronavirus/ to remain up to date on any information regarding COVID-19.