DJ Exilhomme: Central’s Most Physical Defender

Trevi Alickolli, Assistant Sports Editor

The Central Connecticut football team is 5-1 through the first six weeks of the season behind a defense that is holding opponents to 20.7 points per game and opposing running backs under 90 yards per game.

In the middle of that defense and in the middle of nearly every play, spectators will most likely see the leading tackler for the Blue Devils, junior safety DJ Exilhomme.

“Whoever has the ball, you’re going to see me there every time,” Exilhomme said. “I just love playing football, so whenever I’m out there, I’m going to be where the football is.”

He loves to hit, despite not having a typical strong safety “hitting” frame.

“I’m just a hitter, man. I love hitting people. When I’m on the field is really the only time I can do that, so I make sure I enforce my will,” Exilhomme said.

“For a kid who’s 185 lbs, he plays like he’s 210 lbs,” head coach Ryan McCarthy said. “He’s as physical as any football player we have. He really plays bigger than what he really is.”

“He’s just a physical, physical player who plays the game with no fear,” McCarthy said. “The most impressive thing to me is his physicality. He’s not afraid to lower his head, stick his nose in there regardless of what size the ball carrier is.”

Perhaps it’s his former wrestling career that allowed Exilhomme to lead the Blue Devils in tackles last season as a sophomore and this year through six games.

“I did wrestling when I was in high school,” Exilhomme said. “I was a state champ, so I think that has a lot to do with it. It definitely helped my tackling.”

In 11 games as a sophomore, Exilhomme finished the season with 74 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and an interception.

Halfway through the season this year, Exilhomme once again leads the team in tackles with 39, and he has already matched his tackles for loss from a year ago. His production in forced fumbles and interceptions has dipped (one FF, no interceptions), but there is plenty of time left this season for Exilhomme to make an impact in those categories.

“Well, I dropped two [interceptions] so far, but I promise you, there’s going to be some coming up soon,” Exilhomme said.

Despite no picks this season, Exilhomme has found other ways to get the ball. He has two fumble recoveries and one returned for a touchdown.

Exilhomme is projected to have a career year with 78 tackles, five TFL, two FF, and four FR.

This jump in production is something that has not surprised McCarthy.

“Athletic ability is number one but he’s gotten so much better with his eye discipline,” McCarthy said. “His coverage skills have improved and he gets us lined up, he makes a lot of the calls back there. He’s really improved the mental part of the game.”

McCarthy has also taken notice of Exilhomme’s improved leadership, saying he’s a “quiet, lead by example guy,” but also adding “he’ll lead with his pads.”

Personally, Exilhomme has used the way Centrals’ season ended a year ago as a source of fuel for his career year.

At home against Duquesne University in the final game of the season, tied with under 30 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, Central’s defense let up a 56-yard touchdown that would end up being the game-winner. The touchdown costed the Blue Devils the game and the Northeast Conference Championship.

Exilhomme finished that game with a career-high 16 tackles and three forced fumbles but the loss is what stuck with him through his workouts.

“I used it during training when things got hard,” Exilhomme said. “I think [to myself], ‘this is what I’m working for, this is why I need to get better,’ and I’m making sure that doesn’t happen again.”

His hard work in training and focused mindset has shown on the field for Exilhomme and is evident to McCarthy.

“I can’t think of one time this year where we got run by because our eyes are in the backfield or we’re keying the wrong receiver,” McCarthy said. “He’s really done a nice job with that.”

Exilhomme and the Blue Devils are still in the early stages of NEC play, they’ve only played one conference opponent to this point, but will soon be in the thick of things with six straight conference games.

If Exilhomme continues to bring his physical brand of football, lead by example and continue to make plays, he knows this team “can finish the season strong and go pretty deep into the playoffs.”