Editor’s Column: Keep Fighting, CCSU

Sarah Willson, Editor-in-Chief

It’s difficult to see a place you love so much drown in such hate.

To say the last two weeks have been rough for Central Connecticut is an understatement. Our campus has been stained with not one, but two acts of bigotry that have understandably hurt so many.

There’s a part of me that wishes I could comprehend the anger and hurt that a majority of CCSU’s community is still feeling. Yet, at the same time, I feel fortunate that I can’t, but I know that’s not right.

Like so many, I too am frustrated with the amount of time the investigations into both incidents are taking. The campus deserves answers and I truly hope we get them sooner rather than later. I know a number of students feel left in the dark.

At the same time, what’s happened has shown the amazing amount of unity that this campus possesses. Just last week, I watched in awe as what appeared to be hundreds came together for a silent rally and march across campus demanding change. Not only that, but I’ve talked with others who are so determined to beat the hate they’ve witnessed. It’s inspiring.

Along with all of this has come the difficult decision of what is and what is not acceptable to run in a university publication. These are the decisions always spoken of in various journalism classes, but they’re ones I never believed I’d have to make as a student.

The decision to censor the words written on the Student Center and the Welte Garage seemed like a no-brainer, though I had heard from a number of students that they felt that was sugarcoating the truth.

I get that. But the decision to run some of the signs from the rally was one I wrestled with all week. As a white female, I knew it wasn’t my place to decide, either. After talking with professors and a number of students, I realized that seeing the word in print is ultimately too painful for too many.

It has been said before in The Recorder that we will not censor the truth – that still holds true. I am not trying to cover-up or play-down what happened, but I don’t want to offend or upset anyone with a word that has such a horrific history behind it. Some students already don’t feel comfortable or safe on campus because of the word plastered across two buildings. The last thing I want is for them to feel that same way picking up a 16-page newspaper.

I hope that the next week brings clarity for a number of students and faculty on campus. But more than anything, I hope that students will continue to fight for what they believe in. Though horrible, these acts brought out the best CCSU has to offer.

Despite the cowardly acts that took place last week, seeing the campus community come together as one made me incredibly proud to be a student here.