CCSU Softball Wins Two of Three Over Sacred Heart

Credit: Steve McLaughlin Photography, CCSU Athletics

Egypt Bell-Clayton, Social Media Editor

The Central Connecticut State University softball team faced the Sacred Heart Pioneers in a three-game series this past weekend.

The Blue Devils won the first two games with a score of 6-4 and 7-6, but fell short in the third game, bringing their record to 15 wins and 11 losses.

The Blue Devils had an early lead of 3-0 in the first game, from a three-run homer in the bottom of the first by Ava Cino. This was Cino’s third home run of the season.

Kendall LaMorte, a freshman, made her first home run of her colligate career in the bottom of the third.

Paige Stringer added a home run, her third of the season.

LaMorte and Stringer’s solo homers increased the score to 5-0. The Blue Devils increased the score to 6-0 when Ashlyn Desaulniers hit the ball to the left, bringing Skylar Warn home.

But it was not over for the Pioneers, as they fought hard to catch up.  Sacred Heart brought two of their players home, and added a two-run homer, bringing the score to 6-4.

Sacred Heart earned the early lead and got on the board at the top of the first in the second game.

The streak continued when the Pioneers extended their lead with a homer in the top of the third.

CCSU put pressure on Sacred Heart, adding runners to first and third base, but Sacred Heart ended the top of the fourth inning in their favor. In the bottom of the fourth, Kim Howard hit a solo homer, making the score 3-1. This was Howard’s fourth home run of the season.

CCSU continued to push through during the bottom of the fifth, as Stringer hit an RBI double to bring in runners from second and third.

The Pioneers scored their final run in the sixth inning, but the Blue Devils scored four more runs and came out on top in the second game.

Kaylee Whittaker collected both wins inside the pitching circle, bringing her record to 13 wins and five losses.

Right off the bat, the Pioneers hit a three-run homer to start game three, bringing the score to 3-0.

After some scored runs, the Blue Devils were able to tie up the game quickly. Continuing the rally, the Pioneers had a strong offensive performance to regain the lead with a home run.

The Blue Devils did not seem to give up hope and played just as strong on defense. Whittaker struck out the Pioneer’s batter and Warn tagged out another Pioneer player.

In the bottom of the seventh, CCSU’s Molly Bruyns was able to cross home plate, tying the score, 4-4. Bruyns sent the game into the eighth inning. The Pioneers were able to hit a home run, bringing the score to 5-4, securing the win.

Both the Blue Devils and the Pioneers fought hard to come out victorious in these three games, and the hard work did pay off as both teams received a win in the series.

The Blue Devils’ conference record is currently eight wins and four losses. They are the No. 2 seed underneath Saint Francis University, in the Northeast Conference.

CCSU will continue to fight for that No. 1 spot in the conference as they head back on the road to take on Fairleigh Dickinson University this Friday, April 14, and Saturday, April 15.

The Blue Devils will face the Great Danes of the University at Albany, on the road, on Tuesday, April 18.