Lacrosse Suffers Fourth Straight Loss

Credit: Steve McLaughlin Photography, CCSU Athletics

Marquis Adams, Staff Writer

The Central Connecticut State University women’s lacrosse team lost to Sacred Heart University on Wednesday, March 29.

The Blue Devils started their four-game homestand with a loss to Wagner, followed by losses to Quinnipiac, Stetson, and Sacred Heart.

Sacred Heart was the first team to get on the board within the game’s first minute. Freshman Maggie Araneo scored the game’s first point, followed by junior Kelly Nolan a few seconds later. At roughly the six-minute mark, graduate student Lydia Werlau scored Sacred Heart’s third point of the game.

CCSU finally got on the board at the five-minute mark after Lauren Valluzi’s goal. The first half ended with Sacred Heart scoring six more points, and with the lead now 9-2, Sacred Heart was sitting comfortably.

Once the second half started, Sacred Heart kept adding to the lead. The team added four total points in the third and fourth quarters, with the Blue Devils only scoring once in the final two quarters.

After the disappointing loss, CCSU now holds an overall record of 1-6 and is 0-2 in the Northeast Conference. The Blue Devils look to get going on the road where they face LIU this Saturday. Despite a rough start to the season, it’s still early, and the Blue Devils are more than capable of turning things around.