Men’s Basketball Drops Back-to-Back Games on the Road

Credit: Steve McLaughlin, CCSU Athletics

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

The Central Connecticut State University men’s basketball team traveled to Baltimore, Maryland this past weekend where they faced off against Lafayette University on Saturday, Nov. 19, and then against the University of Maryland, Baltimore County on Sunday, Nov. 20.

The Blue Devils were defeated in both games by a combined total of seven points. On Saturday, they fell behind early to Lafayette but were able to put together a second-half comeback attempt that ultimately came up short losing the game 55-50.

On Sunday, the Blue Devils were up by three points in the final minute of the game but ended up giving up five unanswered points in the last 48 seconds to lose the game 78-76.

CCSU’s sophomore guard Davonte Sweatman led the Blue Devils in scoring for both games with 13 points on Saturday and 17 points on Sunday.

The Blue Devils were led in rebounds in both games by their sophomore forward, Andre Snoddy, who compiled eight rebounds on Saturday and followed that up by grabbing 12 boards on Sunday.

It was just the second and third time this season that Sweatman scored double-digit points and his 17 on Sunday is a new career high for the sophomore.

Fellow sophomore guard Joe Ostrowsky made his first start of the season on Sunday scoring five points to go along with four rebounds and four assists. Collectively, the Blue Devils knocked down 12 three-pointers in Sunday’s game against UMBC, a new season high for the team.

The Blue Devils are off to a 0-5 start to the season and currently occupy last place in the Northeast Conference standings. They have yet to play a game against an in-conference opponent and will travel to Piscataway, New Jersey to take on the Rutgers University Scarlett Knights on Saturday, Nov. 26.