Blue Devils Comeback Comes Up Short on the Road

The Blue Devils fought back in the second half of their game against Saint Francis of Brooklyn College, but ultimately came up short, losing 3-2. Photo Credit: CCSU Athletics, Steve McLaughlin Photography

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

The Central Connecticut State University men’s soccer team put forth a valiant second half comeback attempt against Saint Francis of Brooklyn College in Brooklyn Heights, NY, Sunday, Oct. 30. 

After going down 2-1 early in the first half, the Blue Devils fought back in the second half but ultimately came up short, losing 3-2. 

The first half featured three penalty kicks including two that were converted by Saint Francis and one by Central that found the back of the net. CCSU’s sophomore midfielder Birk Martinsen converted the penalty kick for the Blue Devils, giving him his third goal of the season.  

Down 3-1 going into the second half of the game, CCSU came out of the locker room at halftime and played strong defense to hold Saint Francis scoreless in the final 45 minutes of the game. 

The Blue Devils would add a goal in the 74th minute when sophomore midfielder Taein Ka scored from the wing to bring Central within one goal of the lead. 

Despite a strong effort from CCSU, the Blue Devils were unable to record a shot on goal in the final twenty-five minutes of the match, ending any hopes of a late-game comeback. 

The Terriers outshot the Blue Devils with 27 shots taken, compared to just eight from CCSU. The Blue Devils junior goalkeeper Daniel Wilmore recorded a career-high 11 saves in the match against Saint Francis.  

Up next, the Blue Devils will host in-state rival Sacred Heart University on Thursday, Nov. 3, to finish off their season.