Jahana Hayes and George Logan Face Off in CCSU Debate

Haneen Alkabasi

Incumbent Jahana Hayes debates with George Logan on various controversial issues on Thursday, October 20th.

Haneen Alkabasi, News Editor

Jahana Hayes and George Logan hashed out their differences during a debate on the Central Connecticut State University campus Thursday night.

About 100 people came out to Torp Theatre for the live debate between Jahana Hayes, D-5th District, and Republican George Logan – candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives from the Fifth Congressional District.

The candidates disagreed on most topics, but agreed on the importance of a woman’s right to choose.

“The decision is between a woman and her doctor, full stop,” Hayes said.

Hayes said she would vote yes on a nationwide vote to codify protections once established by Roe v. Wade.

“I was pregnant at 17,” Hayes said. “A two-parent, supportive household is not always the case.”

Hayes said she would support a woman’s right to choose in federal law, stating she would do anything in her power to ensure that individuals always decide for themselves.

“I support, and I will support Connecticut,” Logan said.

Hayes said that she thinks Logan doesn’t understand what choice means.

“He thinks individual states should make a choice for women,” Hayes said. “This is not a Washington versus state issue.”

CCSU student Valeryn Fernandez, of Hartford, said she was excited to join to become more informed of her future representatives.

“As of right now, the biggest thing is Roe v. Wade since Connecticut is one of the states that does allow abortions,” Fernandez said.

Hayes said she supports the rights of girls and women.

“Men shouldn’t compete against females,” Logan said. “To allow biological males to compete against girls is unfair.”

Logan said it is unfair to athletes trying to secure scholarships and continue to play at the collegiate level.

Hayes said she is a congresswoman for transgender students and is a voice for all her constituents, even the ones she does not understand.

“What I do understand is discrimination,” Hayes said. “Based solely on gender identity, it is illegal.”

Hayes said that this debate is entirely about contrast. She said if you replace transgender with any other term, it would not be acceptable and discrimination against any group is unconstitutional.

CCSU senior Simon Fedak, of Prospect, said Logan was still quite supportive of people in the LGBTQ+ community.

“As a republican myself, I also think he made a lot of good points in terms of transgender people competing in sports,” Fedak said.

Fedak said that transgender women shouldn’t compete against men since they have different bodies at the end of the day.

“Males have more strength than females do,” Fedak said. “That’s not to say that females can’t look strong.”

Fedak said he plans to vote for Logan because he represents what he supports.

“He built his ideals upon facts rather than just opinions that Democrats like to pull off,” Fedak said.

The event was sponsored by the League of Women Voters at CCSU.