Men’s Soccer Snaps Eight Game Losing Streak with Win Over Merrimack

With three conference matchups left before the postseason, the Blue Devils still have a shot to make the NEC Championship Tournament, but they will need to play well in their last three contests. Photo credit: Steve McLaughlin Photography, CCSU Althletics

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

After eight straight losses, the Central Connecticut State University men’s soccer team finally broke back into the win column with a 2-0 victory over Merrimack College on Sunday, Oct. 16 at Arute Field.

Not only was it the Blue Devils’ first win since late August, but it was also their first win over a conference opponent this season. Coming into the game, the Blue Devils had lost their first three in-conference matchups this year. They currently have a 3-8 overall record including the 1-3 mark in conference play.

The Blue Devils’ first goal came in the 35th minute when sophomore midfielder Taein Ka assisted fellow sophomore midfielder Brian Son, who scored from the left wing to give the Blue Devils a 1-0 lead in the first half.

The second goal came in the 63rd minute when freshman midfielder Will Starker scored an unassisted goal to give the Blue Devils a 2-0 lead in the second half. Both Son’s and Starker’s goals were the first of their respective careers.

The Blue Devils’ defense played well, limiting the Warriors to only five shots. Daniel Wilmore was in goal for the Blue Devils and the junior was able to stop every shot that the Warriors put on goal to record his first shutout of the season.

With just five minutes left in the match, a late red card was given to Merrimack’s sophomore defenseman Carlo Romei, leaving the Warriors down a player and helping the Blue Devils cruise to victory.

Blue Devils Head Coach David Kelly is happy with the team’s resiliency and praised the players’ ability to deal with adversity.

“We are competing and right there with the teams we are playing. We have had some unlucky breaks, but I have a group of guys who can deal with adversity, and they have belief,” Kelly said.

The win over Merrimack brings the Blue Devils just four points short of fourth place in the Northeast Conference standings. With three conference matchups left before the postseason, the Blue Devils still have a shot to make the NEC Championship Tournament, but they will need to play well in their last three contests.

Up next for the Blue Devils is a trip to Teaneck, New Jersey for a conference match up against Fairleigh Dickinson University on Thursday, Oct. 20. FDU has not lost a conference game yet this season and sits at the top of the NEC standings with 13 points.