Women’s Soccer Picks Up Another Season Win

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

The Central Connecticut State University women’s soccer program picked up its seventh win of the season with a victory over Howard University at Greene Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 9.

The Blue Devils scored one goal in the first half of the game and then followed that up with two more in the second half to give them the 3-0 victory.

Their first goal came in the tenth minute of the game when sophomore forward Kelly Brady found the back of the net after receiving an assist from senior midfielder Zoe McGlynn.

CCSU’s second goal of the game was in the 48th minute when McGlynn was fouled in the 18-yard box. Howard’s junior goalkeeper, Jaida Hendricks, made a great save on the penalty kick from McGlynn but was unable to recover after the initial save. Brady then controlled the rebound after Hendricks’ save and put it away for her second goal of the game.

The Blue Devils’ final goal of the game came in the 85th minute when freshman defensive player Kiley Yepes scored off an assist from sophomore forward Kristina Kelly. The goal was the first of the season for Yepes.

CCSU’s junior goalkeeper Caitlin Murphy did not record a save in this game. Howard only had three total shots, and none of them were close enough to the goal to force Murphy to have to make a save. Murphy has now provided the Blue Devils with four consecutive shutouts and has not allowed a goal since Sept. 11.

The Blue Devils controlled this game with strong play from their midfielders and that did not go unnoticed by CCSU’s head coach Mick D’Arcy.

“We are all delighted with the win and shutout today. We were able to minimize Howard’s threats and we looked dangerous when we attacked,” he said. “Our midfield trio of Lindsay, Kris, and Zoe deserve special recognition for winning the midfield battle.”

The win over Howard was the Blue Devil’s fifth straight conference victory and helped them improve their Northeast Conference record to 5-0, which has them firmly in first place in the NEC women’s soccer standings.

Up next for the Blue Devils is yet another conference matchup against Merrimack at Arute Field on Thursday, Oct. 13. The Blue Devils will host a Merrimack team that currently holds a 4-1-1 record within the NEC and are in third place in the NEC standings.