Men’s Soccer Losing Streak Continues at Howard

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

After opening the season with two consecutive wins, the Central Connecticut State University men’s soccer program has lost its last seven matches, including a 2-1 loss to Howard University Sunday in Washington, D.C.

The Blue Devils had the first scoring opportunity of the game in the sixth minute when senior midfielder Sean Gannon lined up for a free kick that was gathered by Howard’s freshman goalkeeper J.R. Gawel.

The Bison didn’t wait long to get their first goal of the game. It came in the tenth minute when junior forward Nathan Leggett assisted freshman defenseman Nigel McCloud, who then finished the play with a high shot that found the back of the net to give the Bison an early 1-0 lead.

Howard scored again in the 19th minute when Leggett recorded his second assist of the game and found junior forward Mason Christian for the finish to give the Bison a 2-0 lead at halftime.

The Blue Devils’ sophomore midfielder Brian Son had an opportunity to score early in the second half, but Howard’s goalkeeper was able to stop the shot that could have sparked a comeback.

The Blue Devils were able to keep the Bison from scoring in the second half but couldn’t score a goal of their own until the final minute of the game when a foul was called on Leggett in the 18-yard box to give the Blue Devils a penalty kick. Freshman forward Giulio Potenti lined up to take the kick and converted to record the Blue Devils’ only goal of the game.

The Blue Devils outshot the Bison, 16 to 4, but couldn’t capitalize on their opportunities with many of their shots going wide of the goal. Central also had several chances from set pieces including six corner kicks but failed to create any scoring opportunities from them.

The loss marks seven straight for the Blue Devils and brings their overall record to 2-7 and their conference record to 0-2. They will be home at Arute Field on Sunday, Oct. 9 to take on Saint Francis University to start a run of six straight Northeast Conference opponents to end the season.