Winless Blue Devils Suffer Fifth Straight Loss

Steve McLaughlin

Luquay Washington had his second career interception Saturday at SFU, returning the pick 47 yards for a touchdown.

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

The Central Connecticut State University football program traveled to DeGol Field in Loretto, PA this week where Saint Francis University defeated them, 39-13.

The Oct. 1 loss marks the fifth straight to open the season for the Blue Devils.

The Red Flash scored the first 19 points of the game before the Blue Devils could get on the scoreboard. They started with a 24-yard field goal early in the first quarter from sophomore kicker Alex Schmoke.

Later in the first quarter, the Blue Devils had an errant snap go out the back of the endzone, resulting in a safety and increased SFU’s lead to 5-0.

SFU opened the second quarter with the ball and marched down the field for a six-play, 58-yard touchdown drive that ended on a 29-yard pass from sophomore quarterback Cole Doyle to freshman wideout Makai Jackson for a score. Schmoke knocked through the extra point to put the Red Flash up 12-0.

On their next possession, SFU connected on a 47-yard pass deep down the sideline to sophomore running back Damon Horton. The Red Flash followed the completion up with a handful of challenging runs that led to a 1-yard touchdown run from junior running back Lovell Armstead to put them up 19-0 in the second quarter.

The Blue Devils finally got on the scoreboard just before halftime when junior linebacker Luquay Washington picked off Doyle and returned it 47-yards for the touchdown—making it the second interception of Washington’s career.

With 8:22 left in the third quarter, SFU scored on a 2-yard touchdown run from sophomore tight end, Hunter Brown. CCSU answered right back with their own score on the next possession when quarterback Shon Mitchell rushed for a 6-yard touchdown to make it 26-13 in favor of SFU with 3:26 left in the third quarter.

SFU would put up two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter, including a 6-yard touchdown catch from freshman wideout Elijah Sarratt and a 7-yard touchdown run from freshman running back Jordan Jackson. The Blue Devils failed to put up any points in the fourth quarter and would lose the game with a final score of 39-13.

CCSU committed three turnovers in this game while only being able to take the ball away once on the Washington interception, resulting in a touchdown. The Blue Devils were only able to convert on 8% (one for 12) of their third down conversions, while the Red Flash converted 36% (five for 14) on the third down.

Junior Kyren Petteway led the Blue Devils in receiving with 89 receiving yards, while senior Nasir Smith led the team with 44 rushing yards. Mitchell led the team in passing, going 16 for 38 with 188 yards and two interceptions.

The Blue Devils will be home for three straight games at Arute Field beginning Saturday, Oct. 8 when they host Brown University in an out-of-conference contest on Homecoming weekend.