Women’s Soccer Wins Close Game to Extend Win Streak

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

Behind a strong defensive performance on Thursday, Sept. 29, the Central Connecticut State University women’s soccer program defeated Saint Francis Brooklyn, 1-0, on the road at Brooklyn Bridge Park.

The victory marked the fourth straight for the Blue Devils and improved their overall record to 6-5, but more importantly, it helped them stay undefeated within the Northeast Conference.

The eventual game-winning goal came in the 59th minute via a penalty kick. CCSU’s sophomore forward Kristina Kelly was taken down in the 18-yard box by a tackle that warranted a penalty. Kelly lined up her penalty shot and could sneak the ball by the outreached arms of the Terriers’ goalkeeper into the lower left corner of the goal.

Kelly now has four goals on the season and leads the Blue Devils in points (nine) through 11 games.

In a game with minimal scoring, the Blue Devils could hold on to their slim 1-0 lead by relying on their defense. CCSU’s junior goalkeeper Caitlin Murphy had four saves on the day, including one late in the game that she could dive on and secure to help give the Blue Devils the win over a conference opponent.

The Blue Devils had a couple of chances to get on the board early in the game, but shots by sophomore forward Kelly Brady and sophomore defensive player Charlotte Simmons went just wide of the goal.

Other than the penalty kick. The Blue Devils only had one other shot on goal this game, and that was in the 38th minute when senior midfielder Zoe McGlynn centered a pass to fellow senior midfielder Roma McLaughlin, who then blasted a shot on goal that almost got past the Terriers’ goalkeeper.

With the win over the Terriers, the Blue Devils have improved to 4-0 within the Northeast Conference and currently sit at the top of the conference standings. The Blue Devils will look to keep up this level of play as they head to Howard University to take on the Bison Sunday, Oct. 9.