Softball Drops Both Games Of Doubleheader At Holy Cross

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

The Central Connecticut State University softball team suffered a doubleheader sweep at the hands of College of the Holy Cross on Thursday, April 14, in Worcester, MA. The Blue Devils were outscored by the Crusaders, 11-1, throughout the doubleheader.

In-game one, the Crusaders’ senior pitcher, Kelly Nelson, only allowed one hit and struck out 11 through seven innings pitched to pick up the 6-0 shutout win for Holy Cross. The Blue Devils’ lone clash came in the top of the sixth inning when senior infielder Alex Rogers singled to left field to break up Nelson’s no-hit bid.

In the first game, senior pitcher Kari Marks started on the mound for the Blue Devils. She walked four, gave up 14 hits, and allowed five earned runs in her six innings pitched.

Holy Cross got enormous contributions at the plate from sophomore Jessica Mott, sophomore Claire McCann, and senior Erin Bengston. Mott was 4-for-4 with three RBIs, while McCann and Bengston combined to go 5-for-6 with two doubles and a run scored.

With sophomore pitcher Megan Yurchick on the mound, the Crusaders started game two of the doubleheader by striking out the first three Blue Devil batters to retire the side in order. CCSU’s senior pitcher Ashley Antonazzo answered back with a 1-2-3 first inning of her own.

The two starting pitchers dueled it out for most of the second game. The Blue Devils were able to break through and put up the first run of the game in the top of the sixth inning with an RBI double from senior Megan Dugas to give them the 1-0 lead.

The Blue Devils’ lead would not last long because three CCSU errors and a wild pitch in the bottom of the sixth inning resulted in five runs for Holy Cross, four of which were unearned. The Crusaders would hold the lead and finish off the doubleheader sweep with a 5-1 victory.

Both Yurchick and Antonazzo pitched complete games, allowing only four hits. Holy Cross’ Yurchick struck out ten batters while CCSU’s Antonazzo only fanned three. Yurchick improved her record to 4-11 on the season, while Antonazzo fell to a 1-11 record.

Only four Blue Devils managed to record a hit throughout the doubleheader, with Rogers being the only one to get an impact in both games. CCSU struck out 21 times out of their 46 at-bats during the two games while only striking out five batters themselves.

The Blue Devils currently sit in last place of the Northeast Conference with a 1-11 conference record and a 5-32 overall record. They are now riding a five-game losing streak. With just four more series left in the regular season, all within the NEC, the Blue Devils will look to finish strong and make a possible run at the postseason. Next, they will be on the road to take on in-state conference rival Sacred Heart University in a three-game set on Tuesday, April 19, and Wednesday, April 20.