CCSU Softball Gets Swept by Mount Saint Mary’s

www.ccsuathletics.com

CCSU’s Kaylee Whittaker steps into her pitch during Blue Devils, 9-1, loss to Mount Saint Mary’s in Emmitsburg, Maryland on Sunday, April 3.

Andrew DeCapua, Sports Editor

The Central Connecticut State University softball team’s losing streak continues as the Blue Devils drop three straight games to Mount Saint Mary’s University in Emmitsburg, Maryland, on Saturday, April 2, and Sunday, April 3.

The Mountaineers were able to manufacture runs in both the first and second innings of the first game to give them an early 2-0 lead. The Blue Devils managed to load the bases in the top of the second, but poor situational hitting allowed Mount Saint Mary’s to get out of the inning without allowing a run.

Hits from CCSU’s junior Megan Gorman and sophomore Paige Stringer cut Mount Saint Mary’s lead to just one run in the top of the third inning. After a lead-off double from sophomore Katie master, sophomore Alex Rogers recorded a sac-fly that scored Master to tie the game at 2-2 in the fourth inning. The Blue Devils would get the go-ahead to run on third after a triple from Gorman but could not capitalize. With the game tied 2-2 in the fourth inning, Mount Saint Mary’s sophomore Abigayle Perry delivered a bases-loaded single that plated two runs and gave the Mountaineers the definitive lead. The Blue devils failed to record another hit for the rest of the game, falling to Mount Saint Mary’s 4-2. CCSU’s pitcher Kari Marks (1-8) picks up the loss in game 1, her eighth of the season.

After dropping the first game of the series, the Blue Devils opened game two with a sloppy play that allowed the Mountaineers to jump out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. Hits from Mount Saint Mary’s sophomore Bridgette Gilliano and senior Kaia Bonshock increased the Mountaineer’s lead to 2-0 in the bottom of the third. Mount Saint Marys added two more runs on back-to-back bunts to go up 4-0 in the bottom of the sixth. The Blue Devils managed to score a run in the top of the ninth but were ultimately defeated 4-1. Senior pitcher Ashley Antonazzo (0-8) suffered her eighth loss of the season, leaving her without any wins in the year.

It was more of the same for the Blue Devils in game three on Sunday. In the first inning, they open the game up with two errors and a wild pitch to dig themselves an early 0-3 deficit. In the second inning, four more runs from Mount Saint Mary’s gave the Mountaineers a big 7-0 lead early in the game. The Blue Devils’ bats came alive in the third inning when a walk followed by three singles from Master, Stringer, and senior Meg Dugas got the Blue Devils their first and only run of the game. Mount Saint Mary’s added two more runs, including a solo homerun, to give them the 9-1 win over CCSU.

The Blue Devils are currently in last place in the Northeast Conference standings with a conference record of 1-7 and an overall record of 3-26. They will look to break their seven-game losing streak when they host Sienna College for a doubleheader at CCSU on Tuesday, April 5.