Nursing Program Sees 30% Drop in Applications

Madeline Wilson, Photo Editor

In 2020, nursing education programs across the state were turned on their head when the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Central Connecticut State University’s nursing program has seen a 30% drop in applications since the spring of 2019.

Dr. Jennifer Ort, a nursing professor at Western Connecticut State University, said she worries that a dip in applications will have real consequences.

“I think that the fear that COVID has instilled in our society is really going to impact the number of students who want to become nurses,” Ort said.

Application numbers in CCSU’s program only saw a slight drop at first; in the spring of 2019, there were 100 applicants, and in the spring of 2020, there were 96. After that, in the spring of 2021, the program received 92 applications, and the program could still accept a total class size of nursing students.

The program only received 70 applications in the spring of 2021 and could only accept 59 students, which is about 10 less than a typical year.

Dr. Catherine Thomas, the head of CCSU’s nursing department, said that enrollment faced challenges with registration, mainly due to students being unprepared because of learning delays during the pandemic.

Thomas said that a higher number of students than usual  “really struggled” in introductory biology and chemistry courses. She said she speculated that extended remote learning in high school hindered students’ preparation for these courses.

Ort also worried that students in the program right now aren’t getting the training they need, despite the best efforts of their programs.

“I think, educationally, they’re well prepared; I think the theory part is there,” she said. “I think being able to apply what they know face-to-face might be very challenging for them.”

Some nursing students, however, have mixed opinions about how their education was or was not compromised during the pandemic.

Paige Lavoie, a sophomore nursing student at CCSU, said that she doesn’t think her education was hindered by COVID-19 restrictions or guidelines.

“As a nursing student, I don’t have any issues with social distancing,” she said.

Lavoie said she felt safe in her classes, and she never felt like COVID-19 stopped her from learning in class or lab settings.

“Luckily, none of my nursing courses have been affected by social distancing requirements,” she said. “Had my nursing courses begun in fall 2020, I would most definitely have a much different answer, though.”

Carly Monge, a senior nursing student at WCSU, said that she’s had a good experience with her clinical rotations and classes and feels prepared going forward, but recognizes she’s had limited opportunities because of the pandemic.

“I believe COVID and social distancing has greatly affected my learning,” she said. “It took at least a year away from my traditional learning.”

Monge was in her sophomore year when the pandemic began and was directly affected by the loss of in-person opportunities during that time. She said she has still been able to complete each experience and requirement that the nursing program entails, but with limitations.

“We couldn’t go as often due to rotating through students, and we lost out on certain opportunities like the operating room,” she said.