CCSU Swimming and Diving Defeats Sacred Heart in Season Opener

Ryan Jones, Editor-in-Chief

Central Connecticut’s swimming and diving team took home a victory in the first meet they have swam in since February 22.

The Blue Devils traveled to in-state opponent Sacred Heart and defeated the Pioneers by a final score of 184.5-112.5.

CCSU placed first in 14 of the 16 events with Sacred Heart grabbing first place finishes in the 100 yard butterfly and 1 meter dive.

The last time CCSU was competing in the pool was in the Northeast Conference Championship in which they took home second place out of the nine other NEC schools. The team returns a strong core of nine juniors from last year’s team. A relay team comprised of four juniors broke a pool record in the season opener.

Katie Czulewicz, Hallie Perrin, Jeannette King and Simona Visinski broke the record in the final event of the day, the 400 freestyle relay. The group finished with a time of 3:38.83.

King had a successful individual showing against the Pioneers. Apart from the aforementioned relay, King also finished first in the 100 yard free (54.21), 200 free (1:56.42). She also placed first with Perrin, Mariana Espino and Ashley Calderon in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:50.01.

Connecticut native Czulewicz won two individual events for the Blue Devils. She finished 5:11.65 in the 500 free and 25.12 in the 50 free.

Though the juniors have a strong presence on the team clear through their scores, the freshmen swimmers for CCSU competed hard in their first ever meet. Abbey Keane won the 100 free with a time of 10:44.47. Natalie Pena finished the 100 backstroke in 1:00.66, a first place finish.

Fellow rookie Morgan O’Hara finished right behind Pena for second place with a time of 1:02.45. O’Hara also finished second in the 200 yard IM.

Several other Blue Devils gathered first place finished in events. Calderon won the 200 fly with a time of 2:12.29. Lindgren finished first in the 200 yard IM with a time of 1:12.44. Alex Lindgren won the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:24.58

The Blue Devils were next scheduled to swim at UConn on January 29, but “testing revealing COVID-related issues within the Huskies’ program” caused the cancellation of the event, per CCSU Athletics. Central Connecticut will be back in the pool competing February 20 against Bryant at 1 p.m.