Tips To Surviving Online Learning

Pexels

Pexels

Ndengo Mwilelo, Assistant Lifestyle Editor

The fall semester is here and classes will be up and running soon, so how prepared are you to learn while socially distancing? It’s a tough question to ask when some of you will be forced to learn in an environment that isn’t enjoyable to you. 

Remember, being a college student is not only about attending classes, it’s more than that. Studying is crucial part of the journey. Whether you are a freshman, senior, graduate or Ph.D. student as a college student, you will be successful when you set some time aside to review what you have learned.

Taking classes fully online has become the new routine and there is no way we can deny that. Studying at home or in your dorm while social distancing can be tough and certainly a challenge, but it is possible. So what are some different ways you can learn online while social distancing?

Find motivation

You are your best source for motivation because you understand yourself better than anyone else. While in the middle of a pandemic, you managed to attend your first virtual classes! You know what interests you the most and that is what will guide you to a successful online semester. People aren’t always going to be there for you and for that reason, you will learn to handle online classes easily. But also keep in mind that you are not going through this journey alone, the whole world is going through it and people are handling it differently. Don’t be afraid to reach out to others for advice.

Stick to a schedule

Although classes are online, a planner will be your best friend to keep track of everything. Whether it’s on-campus or at your house, sticking to a schedule can help you feel motivated, organized and productive. Sticking to a plan will help your online learning experience feel “normal.”

Again, there is no right or wrong, but sticking to a schedule will help you define your daily routine. Creating a plan is like having a map that can direct you to your destination. Be sure to build in time for self-care.

Utilize campus online resources

There are resources all around and many of them are offered at your university. You will need to get out of your comfort zone and ask questions on where to find the support you need but it will be profitable for you. Whether you are a first-year student or senior, trust in the resources that are available to you.

The Learning Center at Central Connecticut offers one-on-one academic coaching as well as tutors that are available to help you. Along with that, students are provided with study-related materials, motivation and time management information.

Review Professor’s PowerPoint presentations

Attending virtual classes is an essential part of your social distance learning but your attendance during WebEx, Zoom or Microsoft Teams classes won’t be enough. It will require you to comprehend the materials. That’s why many professors post PowerPoint presentations online for students to utilize.  I am not talking about just memorizing the slides, I am talking about actually comprehending the materials. When revising the material posted, you’ll be better prepared for a test or exam.

Utilize Virtual Office Hours

It might feel demanding to ask questions in class, and that’s fine to feel that way, but that is why there are office hours. Professors like it when students ask questions because it shows that they are paying attention. Remember, there is no wrong question because you never know who might benefit from you asking. If you cannot ask a question in class, consider prompting your questions during office hours.

Form Virtual Study Group

Forming a virtual study group with classmates will remind you that you are not alone when you are confused about a subject. In your group, you might feel connected to other students because you will share the same learning experience as well as potential struggles in class. As a group, you will be forced to tackle challenging assignments together, divide tasks when a big project is assigned to you and remind each other about upcoming deadlines. There is strength in numbers.

Balance is needed

Don’t think of taking classes online as end of the world, rather a new chapter in life. It is important to be able to try to balance everything and adjust the time between your online classes and your personal needs. Sometimes we get caught up on how we spend too much of our time on one thing and forgetting the other. Be sure to set a clear boundary and expectation between the virtual class and all your responsibilities.

As the world is shifting around from coronavirus, learning doesn’t stop. It only stops when you decide to stop. You will continue to learn because education is endless. Whether it’s learning online or in-person, it will grant you the opportunity to be the best version of yourself.