Track & Field Finishes Indoor Track Season Breaking More School Records

Andrew DeCapua, Reporter

Senior Megan Brawner, sophomore Angelia Rafter and freshman Ashley Dana concluded the historic Indoor Track and Field season by breaking more school records while the men’s team also competed at the IC4A/ECAC Championships in Boston, Massachusetts.

The CCSU women’s track team was able to do something this week that they have never done before.

“The women set new standards this season,” Brawner said. “We have never had this many women collectively score this high in the finals at an indoor ECAC Championship.”

Brawner set a new school record in the women’s one mile run with a time of 4:49.55 in the preliminary round and then went on to take the silver in the final with a time of 4:49.77. Dana was able to set a new school record in the women’s 1,000-meter run final with a time of 2:50.98 and took fourth place while doing so.

Rafter had a very successful weekend by setting the school record for the women’s 800-meter run twice. She first set the record in the preliminary round with a time of 2:10.45. She then set it again in the 800-meter final with a time of 2:09.69 and was able to take fourth place.

For Brawner, it is an honor to be able to have her name in the school record books along with her teammates.

“It is so special to add my name to the record books,” Brawner said. “We all work so hard each week and trust the process, so I am so proud to have my name be accompanied by my teammates.”

Head coach Eric Blake is especially proud of what Brawner, Rafter, and Dana have been able to accomplish this season.

“I’m really proud of what the three have done this indoor season,” Blake said. “They seem to enjoy going out and racing and competing to their best.”

Senior Hailey Rospierski also competed for the women. She was able to advance past the preliminary round of the women’s 60-meter hurdles but fell short of the finals when she posted an eleventh-place finish with a time of 8.96 seconds in the semifinals.

The men also competed in the IC4A/ECAC Championships and were highlighted by a fifth-place finish in the men’s 800-meter run from senior Richard Grudzwick with a time of 1:50.74.

Other notable performances from the men included senior Alex Norstrom, senior Quincy Sanchez, senior Andrew Findley, and junior Miles Fye-Moore.

Norstrom competed in two events and made the final in both. He crossed the finish line in the men’s 3,000-meter run in twenty-sixth place with a time of 8:28.05 and placed sixteenth in the men’s 5,000-meter run with a time of 14:30.03.

Sanchez made it all the way to the men’s 60-meter hurdles final and crossed the finish line in sixth place with a time of 8.22 seconds.

Findley was able to qualify for the men’s 500-meter dash final and finished in ninth place with a time of 1:04.14.

Fye-Moore finished the men’s 200-meter dash final in ninth place with a time of 21.79 seconds.

The men’s team finished the IC4A/ECAC Championships in twenty-third place with seven total points, while the women placed sixteenth with 18 total points. The men’s portion was won by the University of Connecticut and the women’s portion was won by Towson University.

The Blue Devils did not have any athletes qualify for next weekend’s NCAA Championships. The CCSU men’s and women’s track and field teams will rest this weekend and prepare for the upcoming outdoor season which is slated to start on March 27, at Bryant University.