Redefining A Vagina Monologue

Mauriah Johnson

The actresses of the night gave an iconic goodbye to this years Vagina Monologue.

Mauriah Johnson, Assistant Lifestyle Editor

The lit stage of Torp Theater welcomed the annual rock-star Vagina Monologues to its stage last week.

The ground was graced with beaming bright yellow flowers that danced whenever the actresses stepped foot on stage telling the stories of the strength of women through our most sacred victor — the vagina.

“The female body is so precious and it deserves to be safe and strong,” Nehway Sahn, an actress in the Central Connecticut Vagina Monologues said, “we have to channel our power.”

Power is one thing that surely dominated the stage in the midst of stories about pubic hair, orgasms, pregnancy and tampons — all things that women have endured and have learned to accept and love despite it being natural.

Sahn delivered one of the most gut wrenching stories of them all, nearly bringing the audience to tears with her outstanding monologue of mutilation and rape — a story that needed to be told, shown and acknowledged.

While the monologues are very well-known for their blatant honesty, the backstory is the most impressive: bringing awareness to V-Day.

V-Day is a global movement aimed toward stopping violence against women and girls in creative events while raising money in order for anti-violence organizations and communities to continue to raise awareness for the issues that are shied upon and aren’t given the attention they deserve — the attention women deserve.

“Vaginas in our society are highly undervalued on a larger scale and individually,” Sydney Craig, an attendee of the event, said. “It’s such a critical part of a woman, but it’s not valued as such, even by a woman herself.”

The monologues helped women and men in the crowd, including the actresses themselves, find that value in their bodies. Sahn mentioned how through her experience she “was able to connect to her femininity,” acknowledging that she too can forget that she has a vagina, now seeing it as “something to be proud of, something worth the acknowledgement,” leaving her proud of her womanhood.

“This has been an experience to remember,” Marx Chiriboga, a CCSU student said, “to see women relate and be able to open up on a topic that they reserved and even finding humor in their connections.”

How right he was.

The audience filled with endless laughter, hanging on to each line, sound, moan and relentless female honesty that poured off the stage from every single actress that took the stage telling the stories of women as if they were their own.

Truthfully, any woman in the room took on the role or could relate deeply to the monologues that told pieces of the untold stories of their lives and that is something money can’t buy.

CCSU’s Vagina Monologues didn’t only redefine the meaning behind a woman’s most sacred space, it opened the eyes of some women’s deepest insecurities and gave them a whole new respect knowing that their worth cannot be measured by any man’s standards because they are the bringers of life and the mother of all things.

Women will forever be needed because we are the future.