Womens Lacrosse Drops Two To Start Season

Trevi Alickolli, Sports Editor

Central Connecticut’s Women’s Lacrosse began their season losing on the road against the University of Massachusets Lowell and at home versus St. Bonaventure University after some shaky defensive performances.

In the first game of the season, CCSU allowed the River Hawks to shoot 44 shots compared to their 22. Junior Cooper Cowdin saved a career-high 15 of those shots, however, that was not enough as they lost 14-7.

Despite the lopsided shots, the game was competitive for the most part. In the second half, the Blue Devils were tired at 7 with the River Hawks before UMass scored the next seven goals.

Central was led by senior Morgan Sinton who had three goals and two assists on the day. Emma Sullivan, Molly Coogan, Kaitlyn Rapp and freshman Katelyn Parker each scored a goal each for Central. Parker scored her first collegiate goal in her first game with the Blue Devils.

CCSU lost the turnover and the draw battle 26-18 and 16-7 respectively.

Heading into their home opener, it appeared that the Blue Devils started the game with high intensity. They led 5-3 at halftime. However, their intensity seemed to dwindle as the Bonnies outscored them 7-4 in the second half as Central lost 10-9.

St. Bonaventure is not 2-0 on the season after their victory in New Britain.

Defensively, the Blue Devils were much more active, only allowing the Bonnies to shoot 26 shots. A step in the right direction from the 44 allowed a few days prior.

After going down 1-0, Central scored the next three to take a 3-1 advantage. The teams both exchanged goals before half to take it to 5-3.

Just 13 seconds into the second half, Raphaela DaSilva scored one of her goals giving her team a 6-3 lead and it would continue to grow to 7-5 before the Bonnies respond in a dominant way.

With 15 minutes remaining in the game, St. Bonaventure scored the next five goals to earn their victory.

Destinee Johnson led the Bonnies with six goals against the Blue Devils.

As the score would indicate this game was a close one. Every major category only differed by a few.

CCSU had two more ground balls than St. Bonaventure (17-15), one more save (9-8) while committing just two more turnovers (18-16). The Blue Devils also won the draw battle 12-9 against the Bonnies. Nina Sutton led the team with six draw controls.

Offensively, Morgan Sinton, Molly Coogan and DaSilva each scored two goals for the Blue Devils while Jessica Denike, Katelyn Parker and Kaitlyn Rapp each scored one.

Sinton now leads the team with five goals after scoring three in the season opener.

Central will head back on the road to face Holy Cross College this Thursday at 4:00 p.m. before returning home to face Monmouth University this Sunday at 2:00 p.m.