There Will Always Be My Plan Z: A Job At McDonalds

McDonald's Twitter

McDonald’s may be a the best option for people with or without a degree.

Bruna Vila Artigues, Assistant News Editor

Millions of unexperienced and lost adults are graduating this year in the United States, and I am one of them.

Strada Education Network and Gallup reported that 43 percent of those graduates will call unemployment their first job, and I will be one of them as well.

I clearly remember looking up to my cousin, who studied aeronautical engineering in college, thinking about how well-balanced and developed she was and how far those days were from me. Today, I am somehow sitting in my bed in the same position as she was, trying to understand where I messed up in the process. There is no “well-balanced,” or “developed,” in my situation.

She got an amazing, well-paid job right after graduation. This is how it is supposed to be, right? From a young age, we are told that we need to study and get a college degree in order to find a good job that will pay the bills and maybe, just maybe, let you treat yourself.

The problem is that there is no amazing or well-paying job waiting for me once I get my – clearly not as impressive as my cousin’s- media studies degree. The traditional process is laughing at me and the other 43 percent of unemployed graduates.

I am now four months away from being thrown into the darkness of adulthood and having no idea of how I will survive.

I guess I can be happy that underemployment for Communication and Journalism majors is three percent under the average. I would not want to be in the position of degrees like:

• Personal and culinary services,
  • Homeland security, law enforcement, firefighting
  • Parks, recreation, leisure and fitness studies
  • Transportation and materials moving
  • Family and consumer sciences/human sciences

According to the Strada Education Network and Gallup study, these are the top majors that have the highest number of underemployment for college students after graduation. The report also identifies “strategies to increase the likelihood of graduates finding appropriate work,” with the first one being to “evaluate the employment risk of every major.”

It always comes down to the money.

So now, future college students should put their preferences and skills aside to focus on what will bring them enough financial support to survive adulthood. Who cares if one is an amazing painter, an extraordinary coach or a talented chef? Forget the idea of having a passion because there is huge chance that it will result in becoming homeless.

Maybe I did not mess up during the process, and in reality, the process is the one with a problem. I had never been sure of what path I wanted to follow. I mean, very few people know it when they are 18-years-old –which is a whole other debate.

Going for a science major was constantly in my mind. One, because I found it very interesting and useful. Two, because it would open more doors for me in the future that would provide a sense of security. Again, money is present.

Today, after a month of avoiding any thoughts about the future, I am sitting in my bed and I am the one laughing at the process. I chose to follow my intuition and not the stack of cash. I chose to challenge the “perfect world,” and define my own meaning of perfection.

At the end of the day, Steve Jobs did not have a college degree and I think it is safe to say he lived an okay life. So, let’s not get too wrapped up in the process as we enter the next chapter of life. At least there will always be my plan Z: a job at McDonald’s.