For The Intro’s and Extro’s

Mauriah Johnson, Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor

With it still being the beginning of the semester, things can feel overwhelming or altogether draining — especially with seasonal depression at its peak stirring up those “winter blues.”

In these dire times, as people in general, we all need someone to talk to (yes, introverts, you too!) so here are some tips to reference when things are feeling cooler than usual.

Tips for Introverts:

1. Phone A Friend: I know, you may feel like you don’t have one, but someone out there cares about you, even if it means calling up mom or sending a beautifully written text to yourself as a reminder of your own fabulousness.
  2.  Take A Walk: Being in your head all the time has it’s downfalls and sometimes those daydreams seem better than reality, but take a walk in the moment, literally. The naked Connecticut trees may not be sunny California palms, but they are all as equally important just as you are.
  3. Don’t Be Afraid: It’s okay to start a conversation first; I know there’s something or someone you’ve always wanted to talk to or simply compliment, do something different — even if it’s just saying hello. It’s the first step of making  your dreams your reality.

Tips For Extroverts:

1.  Take A Breather: I get it, it’s easier to just be on the go and always in the moment rather than ‘sulking’ but spending some time in your mind is healthy and necessary. Take a moment to sit still and take a deep breath. Be in the moment with yourself. Even if it’s just for five minutes, those five minutes can gave your mind some peace.
  2.  Take A Day: Being an extrovert may seem easy, but there are times when your social battery is shot and being around more people isn’t going to help. In these instances, you need solitude, time and lots of self love.  You can’t be that breath of fresh air for everyone else when you’re not all charged up and loving yourself.
  3.  Talk To Someone: No, I don’t mean go out to another social gathering. I mean really talk to someone who cares even if that someone is yourself. While you’ve been out giving your all everyday, you haven’t taken the time to decompress and evaluate your day or your own emotions. It’s time to consider your own mental health.

Tips For All:

If you feel like no one will listen or you don’t feel comfortable sharing with anyone just yet, invest in a journal. It’s one of the best things you could do to grasp concepts of yourself that you may have never thought about and the factors contributing to your “winter blues.” If all else fails or you’re finally ready, the Central Connecticut Health & Wellness Center and I are here for you.

And remember, winter doesn’t last forever.