Upcoming Event: ‘Toshi’s Choice’

Julia Conant, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The New Britain Symphony Orchestra is inviting Central Connecticut students to help welcome their newest conductor, Toshiyuki Shimada. The orchestra has roots at Central, as it began here. As the orchestra grew older, it became more independent of the university.

On Sunday, Nov. 10 between 3-5 p.m., Maestro Shimada will conduct his first concert with the New Britain Symphony Orchestra in Welte Auditorium. It is called “Toshi’s Choice” and will feature pieces selected by Shimada himself, including Francis Scott Key’s “The Star Spangled Banner,” Tom Myron’s “Katahdin,” Pyotr Tchaikovsky’s “Violin Concerto in D Major” and Anton Dvorak’s “Symphony No. 8 in G Major.” Guest violinist Solomiya Ivakiv will play during “Violin concerto in D Major.”

Born in Japan, Shimada immigrated to the United States in his teenage years. He graduated from the University of Southern California and is a former member of the Houston Symphony Orchestra. Shimada has also directed and conducted the Portland Symphony Orchestra for 20 years.

Currently, Shimada is the music director and conductor of the Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra and the Orchestra of the Southern Finger Lakes, as well as an Associate Professor of Conducting at Yale University.

Shimada was selected for this role in the New Britain Symphony Orchestra after “an extensive search with more than 70 candidates from around the world applying for the position,” according to the New Britain Symphony Orchestra.

According to Jeffrey Kreeger, Central’s Director of Tourism & Hospitality Studies, “The symphony is made up of professional musicians who put on a very impressive concert.”

The concert comes at no charge for Central students who bring their blue chip ID, so if you are looking for a cheap and entertaining way to spend your Sunday afternoon, consider seeing “Toshi’s Choice.”