#19 Football’s Defense Shines In Win Over LIU

Trevi Alickolli, Assistant Sports Editor

Central Connecticut football, ranked #19 in the STATS Football Championship Subdivision poll, is currently on a four-game winning streak. The defense has been imperative to their success, allowing only 7.75 points per game during the stretch.

Their most recent performance was perhaps their best as they held Long Island University to 84 total yards offensively and secured their first shutout of the season, winning 28-0.

The 84 yards is the fewest the Blue Devils have given up since allowing 38 yards to Merrimack University in 2007.

Central is now 7-1 on the season with an undefeated record against Northeast Conference opponents (3-0). They are also undefeated against all FCS opponents.

The Blue Devils’ defense is ranked second overall at the FCS level behind only Kennesaw State University. They are tenth in points allowed this season and fourth in rushing defense. They rank first in scoring and total defense in the NEC.

They improved to #19 in both the STATS FCS Top-25 and the AFCS Coaches Poll this week.

“Defensively, we played lights out,” head coach Ryan McCarthy said about his team’s effort against LIU. “[The defense] put their feet down and didn’t stop from start to finish.”

“The whole team has confidence in our defense,” junior linebacker Tre Jones said. “We can make stops when we want to.”

“Our game plan was good. All week our coaches told us to focus on the offensive line, take advantage of them and the quarterback and I thought we did that pretty well.”

Jones led the way defensively, tying his season-high in total tackles with seven, including two for loss. He also registered 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

Jones leads the team in sacks this season with seven and is tied for the NEC lead through eight weeks.

“That just comes with preparation all week in practice and film study,” Jones said. “I think versatility [is big]. They’ll send me coverage, they’ll send me on twists and motions and I think I play with the quarterback’s mind a little bit and I think that gets to him.”

Jones earner Co-Defensive Player of the Week honors in the NEC for the second time this year.

Sophomore linebacker Aidan Rosa also made seven total tackles against LIU, a season-high for him. He added a sack and a tackle for loss.

Sophomore cornerback Dexter Lawson intercepted his third pass of the season and forced the 12th team interception of the season. The Blue Devils lead the NEC with 18 total forced turnovers.

While the defense was stout from start to finish, it took a little bit for the offense to get into a rhythm.

“Offensively, we struggled and that was partially due to [LIU’s] defense,” McCarthy said. “They did not stop playing and that’s what we saw on tape. They’re talented and well-coached.”

“[LIU] came out ready to play us, as every team should be but [the offense] got back on track pretty fast so I don’t think they lost focus at all,” Jones said.

Although it took a while, they did get back on track scoring four total touchdowns, two through the air by quarterback Aaron Winchester and two on the ground by running back Enyce Walker.

Winchester led the way with 270 total yards, 213 passing and 57 rushing. He leads the NEC in total offense with 290.0 yards per game and is ranked 16 overall at the FCS level.

Wide receiver Tyshaun James led the receivers with four catches for 69 yards, but the young pass catchers continue to make plays for the Blue Devils’ offense that is ranked first in terms of scoring and total offense in the NEC.

Sophomore tight end Theo Zidor caught the first touchdown of his collegiate career on a 51-yard bomb from Winchester while freshman receiver Kyren Petteway caught two balls for 45 yards, one was nearly a touchdown.

“[Petteway would] be tough to tackle in a phone booth,” McCarthy said. “He’s very dynamic. He runs well and he’s very quick.”

The defense led the way this week for the Blue Devils and scoring 28 points would hardly count as an off-day for any offense, but the bar has been raised this season during this historic run and McCarthy knows that.

“As a coaching staff, we need to put our guys in a better position to win,” McCarthy said. “We’ll go back to the drawing board and we’ll get ready for a stout Wagner defense.”

Wagner College is 1-7 this season overall with a 1-2 conference record but should present a challenge due to their talented defense that is ranked fifth in the conference, according to McCarthy.

Central is away this week against the Seahawks, kickoff is scheduled for 12 p.m. as the Blue Devils continue to look to go 1-0 each week.