Women’s Soccer Finishes The Season Unbeaten At Home

George Attwood, Social Media Editor

Central Connecticut women’s soccer finished their season unbeaten at home, after wins over Robert Morris and Saint Francis University this weekend. The Blue Devils won 5-2 and 1-0 respectively. The game against the Colonials was Mick D’Arcy’s 200th win as head coach of the Blue Devils. In the game against Saint Francis, the team honored its seven seniors.

The win over SFU puts the Blue Devils in the number one seed of the Northeast Conference heading into their last matchup of the season. With a win against Sacred Heart, Central would clinch home field for the second year in a row for the Conference Playoffs.

In the game against Robert Morris University, the Blue Devils tallied five goals for the third time this season. Their first goal came just one minute and 17 seconds into the game thanks to Erica Bardes, scoring her second goal of the season.

“The early goal today helped which came from good pressure from the team, I think the defense we have from all over the field, creates the offense for us and the first goal that we scored was symbolic of that,” D’Arcy said. “We were able to put them under pressure and forced them to do things we didn’t want to do and we’ve got the players that can score and take advantage of that.”

D’Arcy was impressed with the character his team showed despite conceding the two goals which is something they had not done in NEC play all year.

“You never want to concede, but that’s the game, it’s going to happen and how you respond to any kind of adversity is important. It was a glitch, they scored but right away we responded and that is a great characteristic for a team to have.”

Central always looked dangerous coming forward especially down their right-hand side with winger junior Jenna Rae Covello. Covello got the Blue Devils’ second goal of the game when her cross come shot lobbed the goalkeeper.

Freshman forward Giavanna Inzerillo scored her third goal of the year after an in-swinging corner lead to panic in the goalmouth but Inzerillo was able to find the decisive touch. Yo Tachibana scored her second goal of the year and Covello made sure of the win with her fourth goal of the season.

In very British conditions, the eight seniors were walked out by teammates, friends and family members through a downpour of rain. Before the game, the national anthems of Japan and Scotland were played for seniors Tachibana and Carla Jackson, respectively.

D’Arcy praised the seniors and what they’ve done for the program.

“They’ve made a huge impact on the program and it’s a great run they’ve been on the last couple of years,” D’Arcy said. “There’s been a legacy here for a long time, they’ve embraced it and I think they’ve added to it, they’ve enhanced it. We talk about leaving this place better than you found it and that’s what they’ve tried to do.”

The 2019 senior class has a home record of 27-6-4 in their four seasons as Blue Devils.

The weather was certainly a factor in the game and led to a scrappier game with Central unable to play their normal possession style of play.

D’Arcy was impressed with how his side played and got its fifth clean sheet in six games.

“The weather conditions were difficult to play in for both teams, I thought we continued to do what we do well,” D’Arcy said. “We stepped up, pressed them didn’t allow them any rhythm playing out from the back. That’s how we’ve played all year even in perfect playing conditions.”

He was impressed with how creative his side was.

“We could have had 4/5 more goals, I don’t think that’s an exaggeration and defensively we gave up one shot from outside the box that hit the post and could have crept in but overall, solid.”

Central’s only goal of the game came off the foot of junior forward, Tess Atkinson. A good play down the left-hand side led to a cross by junior Bardes who found Atkinson, who squeaked it past the goalkeeper.

Unlike previous games in which they have scored three-four goals, the Blue Devils were scored just the one despite having 27 shots, 10 of which were on target. D’Arcy praised the defense, who were able to shut out the opponent for the eighth time this season.

“Today was good, we’ve had some comfortable games where we’ve been scoring three, four, five goals, today we had to be a little cautious towards the end of the game and had to close the game out and I thought they did that magnificently today.”

The win against SFU guarantees Central a spot in the 2019 NEC Tournament. The final standings will be known after the regular season ends on Sunday, Nov. 3. The women’s soccer team plays its final match of the regular season next Sunday, Nov. 3 against in-state conference rival Sacred Heart at noon.