Chromachord Hopes For A Semester Of Performances

Chromachord+performing+at+last+semesters+benefit+concert.+

Chromachord

Chromachord performing at last semesters benefit concert.

Natalie Dest, Managing Editor

In a small society, Chromachord is one of four a cappella ensembles at Central Connecticut that is striving for the best sound. 

Founded in the Fall of 2015, Chromachord is the only co-ed a cappella group on campus, created from the concept “equality for all.” Consisting of just 13 members, the group views their co-ed ensemble as an experience that other groups may not have.

“Being a part of a co-ed group, there’s just such bigger range of vocals you get to work with,” music education major and Chromachord member Lauren Santiago said. “Having a men’s section really brings out the richness of the music, then having the women’s section really compliments them. I think it fills out arrangements and songs a lot better.”

The ensemble rehearses their arrangements on Wednesdays from 7:30-10 p.m. and Sundays from 7-9:30 p.m. each week, practicing a repertoire of classic pop ranging from old to new.

“Our sound kind of goes retro,” music major and Chromachord member Nathan Chapeton said. “I only auditioned for Chromachord because their type of style is never the same stuff. It has different flavors, like 70s music, classy tunes, with also pop tunes that are relevant.”

With past performances such as their concert at Western Connecticut State University for an a cappella festival, Chromachord and the other groups in the society have a certain amount of performances required each semester.

“Technically, each group is required to have two on-campus and two off-campus performances, whether or not they actually happen is a different story,” Santiago continued. “At first, our group was trying to stay afloat because we were the youngest group and we were trying to make ourselves known. But now we have been doing more, like going to other colleges and performing with other a cappella groups.”

However, the group has recently found themselves struggling for performance opportunities at Central. Hoping for nothing but more concerts, Chromachord is working hard towards this goal to have a semester filled with showcases for the community.

“A big problem we ran into last semester is that us and the rest of the society aren’t getting the performance spaces for our concerts, it was like pulling teeth to try and get them,” Santiago said. “As for this semester, we only have two concert dates for the whole society, which isn’t enough. We’re trying to get more dates but it’s been really hard.”

Despite the struggle for finding time for bigger showcases, it’s the smaller performances that help Chromachord let their voice be heard, even though it may not be their ideal situation.

“Sometimes we do ‘aca-bombs,’ which is where we stand in the middle of the Student Center Circle and perform. I think it’s a fun and good way to get out there and let all the students know that we’re here and to come listen to us,” Santiago continued.

As for now, the group is reaching towards a semester of growth. Improving the ensemble as a whole in terms of sound and establishment is the main focus for Chromachord.

“As always, just getting better again, especially our group because we’re the youngest group, I feel like sometimes we have little more to prove,” Santiago said. “Just getting better every semester and also venturing out of our comfort zones.”

For Chapeton, the group is a still a worthwhile experience despite being considered a “professional group.” Members are still able to perform professionally while enjoying their time on stage.

“Some people have this misconception that professional groups are not fun because they’re super hard and super serious, but you can have a lot of fun doing pop tunes and still sound really good and high quality,” Chapeton said. “Chromachord aims to always strive for its best and still be a lot of fun for those who are a part of it. That is always our goal.”