‘A Night Of Nostalgia’ With WFCS And Hillel

WFCS and Hillel

Come to Friday’s “A Night of Nostalgia” dance to relive the 80s, 90s and 00s.

Julia Conant, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Grab your leg warmers, butterfly hair clips and low rise jeans because WFCS and Hillel are taking Central Connecticut back to the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s

On Oct. 18, CCSU’s homecoming dance will be held in Semesters in the Student Center. The theme is “A Night of Nostalgia,” based the iconic decades; 1980’s, 1990’s and 2000’s.

“As IF having a homecoming dance wouldn’t be the most fetch thing ever!” the Corq app description of the event reads. “Turn up and turn out for the biggest throwback event of the year.”

The dance is co-hosted by WFCS and the Hillel Jewish Student Organization. The two clubs have teamed up to make students aware of Hillel.

WFCS is trying to help a new club on campus gain some traction,” Samantha Duncan, WFCS Radio Director of Development said. “Hillel is a club that is geared towards Jewish students and aims to celebrate the cultural side rather than the religious side. Last semester Hillel hosted a dance, Purim, and in the past WFCS used to host dances pretty frequently. If this event goes successfully it is the hope of both organizations that more are on the horizon.”

Duncan explained the process of planning the dance and how they settled on an 80’s, 90’s and 00’s theme. The throwback theme of the dance was partly inspired by the Netflix original series, “Stranger Things.”

“When planning something like this a lot comes into play,” Duncan said. “What will the music be, what will the decor be, will people dress up, how will we market this, what would people like, etc. One thing we were inspired by was the Snowball scene from ‘Stranger Things.’ We were inspired a lot by the 80’s in general. Everyone planning really likes movies and music from the 80s and 90s plus when it comes to marketing and music it was just a perfect storm.”

Since the dance is centered around a throwback theme, it is encouraged that guests come dressed in clothes from the above mentioned decades, however, it’s not required. In fact, the dress code for Homecoming is quite relaxed.

“You do not need fancy clothes or prom dresses,” Duncan said. “You can literally come in a tee shirt and jeans. Or you can come in a dress. Or dressed as your favorite character from the 80s, 90s, 00s, etc. Casual and fun event!”

Having a date is not required either, however, students who shared their homecoming proposals on social media had a chance to win a Polaroid camera bundle. Students have until midnight tonight to submit their proposals. After that, followers of the @wfcsradio Instagram page will vote for their favorite. Whoever wins will be awarded the Polaroid bundle.

There is also a door prize: brand new Apple Airpods. All that is needed to win the door prize is to show up. After that, one lucky winner will be randomly chosen.

The dance will take place from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m., and light refreshments will be served.

An important thing to note is that everyone attending must have a ticket, which can be picked up at the Information Desk in the Student Center. Students can get tickets for free with their blue-chip, while guest tickets are $10. Each attending student is permitted to bring one guest.

Be sure to swing by Semesters on Friday night if you want to feel like you have time-traveled back a few decades.