CCSU Is Working To Help Struggling Students Graduate

John Atashian

Degrees When Due Initiative will help students to cross the graduation stage.

Isabella Chan, News Editor

Central Connecticut has joined a number of institutions in assisting post-secondary education students who are struggling to earn their four-year degrees to cross the academic finish line with Degrees When Due.

The project is conducted by the Institute of Higher Education Policy (IHEP), who works to increase the access and success in collegiate education. In the past, the IHEP has worked to increase associate’s degree completion and optimize multi-state reverse transfers to help increase students chances of graduating.

With the Degrees When Due initiative, the organization will work to improve the infrastructure of scholastic education in order to help “near-completers” cross the education finish line. Over 150 institutions in 20 states are participating in the program; within the state of Connecticut there are 10 partaking, including CCSU and Charter Oak State College.

Along with these institutions, other  Connecticut community colleges and state universities will be participating as well, such as Capital Community College, Eastern Connecticut State University, Manchester Community College, Middlesex Community College, Southern Connecticut State University and Western Connecticut State University.

According to a study by IHEP, there are just over 30,000 students in Connecticut who are close to receiving their college degrees but are struggling to complete the process. This is likely due to life obstacles some face, like scheduling conflicts, family obligations and financial difficulties.

Although there are no clear indications on how the initiative will resolve these setbacks for students, Degrees When Due is looking to increase the degree attainment rate from 34 percent to 65 percent by 2025.

“Our Degrees When Due institutional and state partners are building a strong pathway to degree attainment for all students, including by providing an on-ramp for those who have paused their studies or ‘stopped-out,’” IHEP President Michelle Asha Cooper, Ph.D. said, according to the CCSU website

“IHEP enthusiastically welcomes the selected institutions and states to this effort. Through this initiative, they will increase student success, serve a diverse set of student populations, and join us in addressing one of higher education’s most pressing challenges: degree completion,” Cooper added.