New Degree Options for “Environmental Geography And Sustainability” At CCSU

Bruna Vila Artigues, Assistant News Editor

The CCSU Department of Geography announced the launching of a new bachelor’s degree and/or minor in “Environmental Geography and Sustainability” this fall.

More young people are leading and getting involved with the concepts of sustainability and climate change crisis, understanding its impacts on society and the future. A degree in Environmental Geography and Sustainability can help these students find jobs in areas where they can focus on and address environmental, social, and economic justice.

“Society needs a well-informed and trained citizenry, leaders and workforce that are educated about the environmental, social and economic challenges facing current and future generation so they can advocate for, and implement sustainable practices throughout society,” Dr. Charles Button, professor and chair of the Geography Department said.

This degree “will help students understand those challenges and empower them to steer humanity to a more just and harmonious existence,” Dr. Charles Button continued.

The opportunities and careers in this field are increasing every day. In fact, CCSU offered the first Master’s Degree in Global Sustainability in the state of Connecticut in 2008. Since then, they have been expanding the academic curriculum in sustainability, to build knowledge and skills to students that want to become involved in this movement to change the way humanity lives, so that future generations can also fulfill their needs.

For more information, contact Dr. Charles Button via email: [email protected] or phone: (860) 832-2788.