Men’s Soccer Snaps Losing Streak

George Attwood, Staff Writer

After two 6-0 losses to start the season, Central Connecticut Men’s Soccer put a halt to its losing skid, tying for the first time.

Continuing their six game home stand, the Blue Devils hosted Rhode Island Tuesday. The Blue Devils started the game sloppy, almost giving up an early goal to the Rams.

One of a few bright spots for Central was forward Jamie Simpson. Simpson, a freshman, constantly looked to do something positive for the team, continually making runs behind the Rhode Island back line.

“I’ve always looked at it as you have to give everything no matter what because at least if you’re not having a good game you can at least work as hard as you can,” Simpson said. “You’ve gotta work hard for everybody that’s working for you.”

Throughout the first half, anytime Central seemed to get anything positive going they seemed to give the ball away. The Blue Devils spent the majority of the period defending and in their own half. This was largely down to poor offensive play from Central, who continually turned the ball over.

After the half time break, Central looked like a new side. They were much more positive on the ball, which had an effect on the crowd who started to chant for the team. This momentum lead to a free kick for Central that cannoned off the left upright, the best chance for either side.

A trend started to develop, with both sides looking to cut in from the left and shoot across goal. The positive play for Central led to a goal, their first of the season. The Blue Devils went on a fantastic counter attack which was smartly finished by Panos Ravanis.

Soon after Central had scored, they conceded a goal from Rhode Island. Neither side were able to score after, sending the game into overtime.

Throughout overtime, both teams had chances but neither were able to capitalize. The game finished 1-1, a fair reflection of how the 110 minutes of football panned out.

Coach Sean Green spoke of his sides start to the season.

“Well I think that once we get a few games under our belt we’re going to get better. We’ve got young kids on the roster, the important thing is to learn from each game and move on.”

Central came into its second game in three days with hope after a good performance against Rhode Island. The Blue Devils’ opponents Quinnipiac came into the match with a 3-2-1 record.

The Blue Devils started off the half just like they did in the first half against Rhode Island. The Bobcats had a lot of the ball in the opening exchanges and looked dangerous when they came forward.

This pressure resulted in a Quinnipiac goal just 12 minutes into the game. The goal came down to poor play from the Blue Devils, who were unable to clear the ball from free kicks or corners. Quinnipiac had two corners in quick succession. From the second corner, a Bobcat finished smartly to double Quinnipiac’s lead.

Central conceded again before halftime, this time to a snapshot that was fired past the keeper.

Central came out in the second half like a new team, playing with a high press and trying to force mistakes onto the opposition.

This high press style of play lead to chances and a penalty kick for Central won by Simpson. He took the resulting penalty which was saved, however he smartly scored the rebound to score his first goal as a Blue Devil.

Just like on Tuesday, the goal for Central seemed to ignite the side. However, they were unable to capitalize with another goal. The Bobcats were able to score after continued shots as the ball went into the net against the run of play.

“If you have the work ethic you’ve got a chance to play well,” Green said. “If you start playing well you’ve got a chance to win.”

“It is easy to point the finger and blame people, but I’d much rather point five fingers and lend a hand, encourage them to move forward and learn from their mistakes,” Green said.

The Blue Devils continue their home stand with a game against  NEC opponent St Francis Brooklyn on Sept. 27  before they host Yale on Sept. 30.