Soccer Draws Two-OT Tie In First NEC Match

Ryan Jones, Sports Editor

Going into Northeast Conference play, Central Connecticut has played in seven overtime periods over just as many games, and were coming off of back to back double overtime ties. In their first NEC match of the year against Bryant, the Blue Devils repeated this algorithm with yet another double overtime 1-1 tie.

Junior Erica Bardes was aggressive out the gates for CCSU, putting the first shot up for either team just nine minutes into the match. Though the shot did not fall for the Blue Devils, Barnes was determined to get her team on the board.

In the 22nd minute, she did just that. Bardes sent a corner kick sophomore Taylor Smith’s way, who quickly struck a shot past Bryant’s goalkeeper to put CCSU up 1-0. Smith’s goal is the second in of the season, and is Bardes’ fourth assist of the season. Bardes finished the past two season’s with one lone assist each, but her early four this season currently leads the NEC.

The Blue Devil defense did not waiver through the first half of play, allowing only one shot from the Bulldogs to their three. The shot did not come until the final three minutes in the half and was quickly corralled by sophomore goalkeeper Amanda McQuillan. She finished the day behind the net with two saves.

Bryant was not stifled the same the in the second half. The Bulldogs put up five shots against CCSU’s defense before finally connecting in the 70th minute to tie the game. The Blue Devils would send three shots Bryant’s way after this, including one on goal, but was unable to get on the board again before regulation ended.

Both offenses sputtered in overtime. Only one shot was taken by either team over the final two periods, as both teams went scoreless in extra time. This marks the fourth tie for CCSU on the season and fifth overtime game.

Central finished the week on the road, traveling to Yale for the final non-conference match of the season. The Blue Devils had recently faired well against the in-state opponent, winning the last three games against the Bulldogs to put their all-time record at 3-8 (Per CCSU Athletics).

The Bulldogs of Yale opened up the scoring mere minutes into the match, scoring off of a deflection in the seventh minute. After this early mistake, Central’s defense locked down the rest of the half. Yale put up eight shots on CCSU in the first, but freshman goalkeeper Caitlin Murphy was able to escape the first half without another score. In her last time out, Murphy shut out Iona on the way to a 4-0 win in her first career start.

Murphy and the Blue Devil defense was unable to stave off the Bulldogs in the second half. CCSU allowed goals in the 59th and 70th minute that extended Yale’s lead to 3-0.

Central put up two shots in the second half, but were unable to get on the board for only the second time this season. The 3-0 loss is the largest margin of defeat for the Blue Devils’ this season and puts them at 2-3-4 for the year.

CCSU will continue NEC play this week, as they travel to Mount St. Mary’s and Fairleigh Dickinson, respectively.