News In Brief

Sarah Willson, Social Media Editor

One Dead After EEE Case In State, Second Hospitalized: 

One man has died after nearly 100 mosquitos tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis, also known as EEE, NBC Connecticut reported.

Four reports of EEE came from the Pawcatuck River in North Stonington, five at Bell Cedar Swamp, three at Cedar Swamp in Plainfield and one at Stonington High School, NBC CT said.

The person who died from EEE last week has only been identified as a man from East Lyme. A second person who contracted the virus is also from East Lyme and is currently hospitalized.

Though EEE is considered rare, 30 percent of the people who catch it will die. Those who survive are likely to live with ongoing neurological problems, as the virus causes brain infections.

At Least Five Dead From Historic Texas Floods:

One of the “wettest tropical cyclones” in U.S. history has claimed its fifth victim in east Texas — a 52-year-old man found stranded in a pickup truck, CNN reported.

Hundreds of other homes and buildings have been destroyed in the flood caused by Tropical Storm Imelda, which has dumped more than 40 inches of rain in some parts of the state.

The heaviest of the rainfall has moved out of eastern Texas, but meteorologists warn that parts of northeast Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Louisiana could still see flash flooding, CNN said.

U.S. Deploys Troops To Saudi Arabia:

The United States will send an unknown number of troops to Saudi Arabia in response to the attacks against the country’s oil infrastructure.

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper announced the deployment late last week during an unscheduled press conference.

Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for the attack on the Kingdom’s two oil facilities 11 days ago, though both the U.S. and Saudi Arabia have blamed Iran for the incidents, BBC News reported.

Just on Friday, President Donald Trump announced new sanctions of the “highest level” against Iran that will primarily target the country’s central bank and sovereign wealth fund, BBC News said.

Esper said the primary goal in sending troops overseas will be to focus on increasing air and missile defense.