Central Takes On ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

Tessa Stack, Staff Writer

Last Monday, a book release party was held for the book, “The Handmaid’s Tale: Teaching Dystopia, Feminism, and Resistance Across Disciplines and Borders” in the Connecticut Room. The book was almost entirely created by the Central Connecticut faculty and alumni in a collection of essays regarding “The Handmaid’s Tale.”

“The Handmaid’s Tale” is both a Hulu original series and book from the mind of Margaret Atwood. It takes place in a totalitarian government called Gilead, formerly known as America. In this world, women have lost their rights. They aren’t allowed to work, read, write, learn, love another woman or speak freely.

Some women are captured and taken from their families; their children ripped from their arms, becoming “gifted children of Gilead.” The captured women become handmaids. A women’s only duty as a handmaid is to repopulate. The book touches on sensitive subjects such as rape culture, survival, freedom of speech, slavery, process, growth, dystopia, religious studies and more.

Dr. Karen A. Ritzenhoff, a Communications professor at Central, encouraged colleagues from the departments of History, Women Studies, Journalism and more to write essays about their thoughts on the topics within “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Ritzenhoff, with the help of  Central’s Director of Public Relations Janice Palmer, edited and compiled these essays into “The Handmaid’s Tale: Teaching Dystopia, Feminism, and Resistance Across Disciplines and Borders.”

Many of the professors that contributed to the book connected the show and book to the real-world issues we face today. Each contributor stood up at the podium and spoke briefly about their chapter and thoughts on creating the book. They shed light on the scary truth that we are closer to the fictional world of Gilead than we thought we would be. In fact, Geological Sciences professor Kristine Larsen said that when she was writing her chapter for the book, she titled the document, “Welcome To Gilead.”

At the book release party, Jacqueline Cobbina-Boivin from Central’s Women’s Center spoke about what the Center stands for and why the message of “The Handmaid’s Tale” is so important when it comes to the main character, June.

Professor Ritzenhoff also had her students write essays on “The Handmaid’s Tale” for a school assignment. One of those students, Adam Gwara, wrote about the camera close ups within the Hulu series that were used, especially when it came to the eyes. Gwara also said that one of the things that makes “The Handmaid’s Tale” powerful in it’s own way is that, “everyone comes from different life experiences.”

“The Handmaid’s Tale” is a powerful book and television series centered around women, the rights they have and how women must stand up and use the voice they were given. But despite this, the event was filled with men and women alike. Teachers, students and contributors to the project came together to celebrate the release of “The Handmaid’s Tale: Teaching Dystopia, Feminism, and Resistance Across Disciplines and Borders.”