How To Get Involved During Your First Semester Of College

Julia Conant

Devils Den @ 10 is a great place to meet other students.

Julia Conant, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Some people just view college as a place to get an education. And while that is the primary goal, Central Connecticut offers plenty of opportunities for students to get involved in a nonacademic sense. It’s important to have a bit of fun in between all of the stress of homework and classes. Here is a guide to the best ways to get involved and have fun during your first semester of college. 

Find a solid group of friends:

It can be scary to go to school events all by yourself. You might feel out of place and end up leaving before you’ve even gotten a chance to enjoy yourself. This is where a good group of friends comes in handy. Find people who have different interests than you. This way, you can introduce each other to different types of events and clubs you each might not have gone to on your own.

Check out the club fair:

How are you supposed to get involved when you don’t know what clubs are available to you? The club fair is a great opportunity to walk around and see all of the people different clubs CCSU has to offer. Talk to a representative from each club and hear what they have to say. Some clubs even give away candy, t-shirts and other goodies as incentive to come talk to them. Take advantage of this; you may just find a club that you’ll be a member of for the next four years.

If you don’t see a club you like, start one!:

Central may have more than 100 clubs, but we always have room for more. If you had a club in high school that you thoroughly enjoyed but don’t see on our campus, or if you have a great new idea for a club, you can easily start one up yourself. All you need to do is find an advisor and a handful of students who would also be interested in the club. 

Download the “Corq” app:

When there is an on-campus event going on, posters will typically hung up in academic buildings, the Student Center or the library. However, CCSU also lists many of its events on an app called ‘Corq.’ Corq conveniently displays all of the upcoming campus events in one place. These events could be concerts, plays, dances or anything of that nature. This makes it easy for you and your friends to find something to do together if you’re looking for something fun!

Attend ‘Devils Den @ 10’:

Pretty much every Thursday night during the school year, Devils Den holds an event called ‘Devils Den @ 10’ in Semesters. Some previous examples of Devils Den @ 10 events are karaoke night, headphone disco, drag ball and a lip sync battle. These events are completely free for students, as well as food and souvenirs. If you are looking for a safe and fun way to spend a Thursday night, Devils Den @ 10 is definitely the way to go.

Get involved with your residence hall:

This one applies only if you live on campus. Each residence hall has a hall council that plans and hosts activities for residents to attend. These events could include movie nights, paint nights, or anything else each hall council can come up with. To get involved with your residence hall, you could either join a hall council or attend the events that they host. Either way, it’s a great way to get to know your neighbors and resident advisors.