Former Students Remain Disgruntled Following Theater Professors Dismissals

Daniel Fappiano, Editor-in-Chief

After Theater professors Joshua Perlstein and Thomas Delventhal were formally dismissed from the university, two former Central Connecticut State students remain disgruntled with how they exited.

The Recorder confirmed that Perlstein resigned prior to his termination on May 16, while Deleventhal was terminated on May 24 and is appealing the decision.

Anna Kelly, a former Central student, was enrolled in the Theater Department during Perlstein’s tenure. Kelly previously stated in the Recorder’s original April 8, 2018 issue that Pearlstein had kissed her, held her hand and grabbed her butt without her consent.

In a new interview with The Recorder, Kelly states that despite Perlstein’s resignation, she is not satisfied with how the process played out.

“There are strong feelings of disappointment that he was able to resign before the hearing, which benefits him in almost every way,” Kelly said. “He deserved to be fired 10 times over and instead he has been on unpaid leave for a year and can move onto his next teaching position with full benefits and a ‘spotless’ record.”

Outside of Kelly’s feelings towards Perlstein’s resignation, the former student was also disappointed with his public apology.

In the statement published by the CT Mirror, Perlstein acknowledged his actions via email while stating some of the steps he has taken to move past the incident. Pearlstein stated that he spent time at a refugee camp in Palestine, trained in Restorative Justice techniques and became a Court Appointed Special Advocate through the Department of Children and Families among other actions.

He ended his statement by saying, “It would have been my preference to sit with those harmed in a mediated setting; to listen deeply to their stories; answer any concerns they have; and begin the process of repair with their needs in mind. In lieu of that I hope that my recent work will satisfy them. And if not I hope they will contact me and let me know what more  I can do.”

Perlstein was unable to be reached for comment on this story.

Kelly shared that she felt disgust from Perlstein’s apology and believes that it underlined his overall “self-obsession.”

“[Perlstein] has so little self- awareness or empathy for any of the women he victimized over the years,” Kelly said. “There was no admission of guilt, no personal responsibility and no apology. The whole thing was just a self-indulgent personal highlight and incredibly insulting to read.”

Going forward, Kelly is hopeful that Perlstein’s actions will remain on the record.

“I can only hope that his actions will speak louder than his record and that future employers will be wise enough to get his full history before putting him in a position of authority over any marginalized group,” Kelly said.

Kelly is not the only one who disaproves of how the professors actions have been handled. Former Central student Brooke Emigh was “disgusted” by Delventhal’s decision to appeal.

Emigh stated in The Recorder’s original Jan. 21, 2019 issue that she experienced inappropriate advances from Delventhal, such as unwanted hugs, kissed and back massages, multiple times through out the Fall 2017 semester.

Delventhal was unable to be reached for comment on this story.

“Delventhal should never be allowed to teach again,” Emigh stated during a recent interview. “I am disgusted that there is an appeal happening and if CCSU re-hires him, it will completely dishonor all the individuals over the past 20+ years who have been affected by both Delventhal and Perlstein.”

Following Delventhal’s treatment, Emigh expressed that she has suffered from mental and physical health problems.

“I have nightmares of Delventhal and Perlstein almost every single night,” Emigh said. “I would not feel safe knowing Delventhal and/or Perlstein would be allowed to teach again.”

Emigh, who was forced to move to a different state, feels that Central should implement a consent form in the wake of Perlstein and Delventhal’s terminations.

“I strongly believe that the Theatre Department needs a consent form for each theatre class,” Emigh said. “It is not an explicit notion that one is going to be touched in a theatre class. That is not something individuals have to be okay with in order to take a theatre class.”

While neither Kelly nor Emigh continue to attend the university, both were directly involved with Pearlstein and Delventhal’s actions. As the Theatre professors leave campus, both students still have concerns with their dismissals.

In a statement to The Recorder, CCSU President Dr. Zulma Toro said, “It has been a long process, especially for the sexual assault survivors and the Theatre Department students and faculty. The investigation and termination proceedings have been challenging and frustrating, but we are moving forward.”

Kelly remains hopeful that CCSU’s decision will allow the campus to be much safer for future students.

“Seeing him removed from campus permanently is a huge victory for the university,” Kelly said. “I believe it will continue to usher in an important new chapter for the school and specifically the Theatre department.