Baseball Sweeps Second-Straight NEC Series

Trevi Alickolli, Social Media Editor

The Central Connecticut baseball team is now on a six-game winning streak within the Northeast Conference after sweeping Wagner over the weekend.

The games were originally scheduled for May 3 through 5, but weather conditions caused game two and three to get rescheduled into a doubleheader on Saturday. This was perhaps something that worked in favor of the Blue Devils, as they seemed to use the positive momentum to help them.

Central started game one slowly, only scoring one run in the first five innings, but turned it around for the last four, scoring three runs in the sixth and seventh inning. Their defense was in peak shape during game one as they only allowed two runs in the second inning and none for the rest of the game.

Starting pitcher Tom Curtin threw five and two-thirds innings and allowed only eight hits. Mike Appel relieved Curtin for the last three and one-third innings and did not allow a single hit to go along with six strikeouts.

Central scored the most runs of the series on Friday (seven), which would lead many to believe they were hitting well, but in reality, Central only recorded seven hits, while the Seahawks recorded eight.

It appears Central made the most out of their opportunities and played great defense on Friday, winning 7-2.

Game two was a pitchers duel between the teams as well as hitting woes continued for both teams. Sophomore first baseman TT Bowens was the only Blue Devil with more than one hit, going 2-for-4.

Senior Brandon Fox got the start at the mound for Central and went seven innings, allowing seven hits, but zero runs. Classmate Jared Gallagher came in for the save, allowing one hit, a home run by the Seahawks Freddy Sabido.

Fox earned the win, now 2-4 on the season as Central won 3-1.

Dave Mathews was held to one hit through eight at-bats in games one and two combined but turned it around for the final game of the series, going 3-for-4 in game three to ensure the Blue Devils would secure the sweep. Matthews drove in three runs and scored two as well.

Bowens continued his hitting from game two, going 1-3 at the dish, also scoring two runs. Sophomore shortstop Matt Bertochi was the last Blue Devil to score, scoring one run.

On the other side of the diamond, the Seahawks were held scoreless. A shutout performance from senior pitcher Patrick Mitchell, who started the game and went the distance for the Blue Devils.

Mitchell saved the best pitching performance for last, allowing only five hits and earned a career-high 13 strikeouts, doubling his previous best total this season.

With the sweep of the Seahawks, the Blue Devils are now 21-18 overall and 11-7 in the NEC. They are second in the standings behind Bryant and also join the Bulldogs as the only two teams above .500 in the conference.

Next week, Central closes out their long, 11-game road trip facing Hartford at Dunkin Donuts Park, home of the Hartford Yardgoats, before returning home for a three-game NEC set gainst Fairleigh Dickinson.