Poem: #TallPeopleProblems

Mauriah Johnson, Contributor

“How’s the weather up there?”

A question I’m pretty sure just about every tall person has been asked sarcastically by the vertically challenged.

Being the “height of the party” has always been problematic.

Trees are not our friends.

Scoliosis is like second nature.

And, it’s always assumed we play a sport – my god, if I had an inch taken off every time someone asked if I played basketball, I’d be non-existent.

Now, imagine life as a tall woman.

Kill me, NOW.

Boys were barely interested, because by the age of 12, I was already the height of the average man.

Yup, that’s right.

Nearly all of my jeans are “highwaters,” except the ones I bought from thrift stores, and the men’s section – curse the women’s aisles.

“Long Legs” is the name my high school gym teacher gave me, which she also screamed happily down the hallways as I walked to class.

Thanks, Ms. Dee.

These same ‘long legs’ never have enough room in the backseat of a car, and heavens forbid I have to sit at a desk, crossing my legs is nearly impossible without crushing my knee.

The worst part of it all, insects.

Have you ever walked into a spider web?

If you’re reading this and you’re average height, probably not.

You can’t even imagine how many summer nights I’ve looked insane slapping myself, just hoping the spider didn’t find a home on my face.

If you’re tall, thanks for understanding.

“Hey, can you grab that for me?” is how I meet most people.

Romantic, right?

Absolutely not.

Grabbing laundry detergent off the top shelf in Walmart is not how I want to be remembered.

I am a goddess by my tall rights.

Some of the most iconic women today are tall: Lynda Carter, Jane Lynch, Blake Lively, Rihanna, Uma Thurman and Kate Middleton – the freaking Duchess of Cambridge.

Oh yeah, Michelle Obama.

Shall I go on?

Us long-legged ladies deserve some respect, okay?

We could land a modeling contract at any time, give birth to the next biggest athlete known to man, see above huge crowds, and we give the best hugs.

If you don’t believe me, there’s a reason why “International Hug a Tall Person Day” exists.

Most importantly, we are more than our physical stature.

We too, are humans.

Height doesn’t define character and it shouldn’t limit our capabilities.

Overlook (pun-intended) all the “tall people critics” who couldn’t make the cut, or the potential partners who deny your greatness because you’re “too tall,” you’re amazing.

Never apologize for the things you can’t change, instead love them wholeheartedly.

Some of the best gifts arrive in tall packages.

Also, we look BOMB in heels.