The United Caribbean Club Provide Island Vibes During Their Annual Pool Party

Tyra McClung, Assistant Arts and Entertainment

The United Caribbean Club and CCSU student’s alike “bruk off di back stroke” during the clubs annual pool party.

The UCC pool party is an end of the year staple at Central Connecticut. Members of the club, as well as non-members, are invited to Kiser Pool to eat fruit and swim along to the Island vibes provided by former UCC president DJ Trini.

“Because it is a Caribbean club, I chose Caribbean music,” DJ Trini explained. “I’ve been DJ’ing for a while so it comes easy to me. I’ve been doing the events since I left every year. I left 2014 December, CCSU is in my blood,” DJ Trini said.

The pool party is the clubs offering of de-stress and relaxation just before finals and graduation hassles.

“It’s just something that we want to do, make sure you know all the kids are having a good end of the semester type feeling. Just come out chill vibes all that,” Errol McDonald, UCC Vice president, said.

McDonald, who is set to replace current UCC President Rena Lewis next semester, insists that the pool party is chosen as the last event of the semester because it’s the best way to showcase the Caribbean culture.

“You know we like to swim, that’s like our vibes, just chillin’ swimming in the water,” McDonald said. “We try our best to enhance the Caribbean culture on campus. You don’t have to be Caribbean to come to the club or the event, its open to anybody and were cool people.”

CCSU student Denasia Williams is taking full advantage of wind down effect being offered by the event.

“Everybody’s been talking about it. It’s starting to get hot, the pool water sounds good. I’m ready to have some fun. The semester has been stressing me out, I’m ready to just let loose relax a little bit,” Williams said.

Students who cannot swim also came out to support the event. Some came for the food, some came for the girls and senior Evan Walker came out dressed in sweats simply to observe because he, “knows [his] limitations.”

“I feel like this could have been fun you know, watching people swim even though I can’t myself,” Walker said.

UCC Meets every Monday in the Sprague Carleton room in the Student Center. Students of all races and cultural backgrounds are encouraged to attend the meetings.