We Need These Bills For Affordable College

The College Solution

We need legislation to make college more affordable to those who need the help.

Cindy Pena, Staff Writer

Obtaining a bachelor’s degree is a goal that once seemed out of reach. However, as I get closer and closer to May 18, my goal will soon become a reality.

The dream to pursue a degree in higher education is very common among many other students. Yet, some students do not have the opportunity or resources to pursue this goal, simply because college is expensive. In order to combat the unaffordability of higher education, students take on loans that accumulate to thousands and thousands of dollars that they simply do not have. 

The issue of student debt is even prevalent in the Central Connecticut community. For example, the Board of Regents, which governs CCSU, recently voted to increase tuition by 5 percent – an increase that will only add to this issue of student debt. Despite these barriers, there are various bills currently making their way through the Connecticut legislative process that can alleviate these costs and the baggage of student debt. 

These are just some of the many bills that are confronting the issues within higher education:

1. An Act Concerning Debt-Free College
    This substitute bill from the Higher Education and Employment Advancement Committee is a step towards combatting student loans directly. The bill will help qualified high school graduates attend a regional community-technical college and graduate free of student loans. This debt-free college program will award students who have met satisfactory academic standards. In addition, this bill will encourage students to complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, by making January known as “FAFSA Month.” This bill is currently on the Senate calendar awaiting action.
  2. An Act Establishing the Roberta B. Willis Scholarship Account and Creating a Business Tax Credit
    This bill will create a “Roberta B. Willis Scholarship” account that will accept private donations. Additionally, it will encourage individuals to donate by providing a business tax credit. The Roberta B. Willis Scholarship program made it possible for myself and many other students to attend college. Yet, in times of fiscal difficulties, the funding of this scholarship program has been limited. Hence, this bill will help fund this important scholarship program, especially during times of fiscal uncertainty. This bill is currently in the Senate calendar awaiting action.
  3. An Act Establishing a Tax Credit for Graduates of Institutions of Higher Education and Private Occupational Schools in the State
    This bill creates an income tax credit for graduates who completed a bachelor’s degree, an associates degree or a manufacturing certificate program. Among the many benefits of this tax incentive, this bill can help graduates with paying back their student debt and encourage them to stay in the state. This bill is currently on the House calendar awaiting action.

Ultimately, as the cost of education increases, so does the baggage of student debt. These three bills attempt to confront this issue and help students like myself.

Although I will be graduating soon, these legislative measures must become law in order to encourage other students to pursue their goals in higher education without worry that they’ll graduate with the giant albatross of student debt looming over them.

Although this goal is ambitious, with the support of the CCSU community, these goals can become a reality.