Softball Sweeps Doubleheader In Season Debut

Daniel Fappiano and Patrick Gustavson

In their first doubleheader of the 2019 season, the Central Connecticut softball defeated Norfolk State and Saint Bonaventure in the Pirate-Spartan Classic. The Blue Devils shined on both sides of the ball, outscoring their opponents by 13 runs in the sweep.

Against Norfolk State, Central’s offense was led by junior Sarah Ogilvie. The new starting shortstop drove in the team’s first run via a sacrifice fly before adding two more RBI with a third-inning single. Ogilvie’s three RBI marked a new single-game career-high.

Sophomore Sydney Bolan also shined for Central, adding three hits including her first home run of the season. Bolan and Ogilvie were two of four Blue Devils to drive in a run against the Spartans.

One of those other players was freshman Carley Stoker. Stoker not only batted cleanup for CCSU but earned her first collegiate start on the mound.

The Sandy Creek, New York native pitched seven innings of three-run ball while striking out three, earning the victory. At the plate, Stoker had an RBI double in addition to a run scored.

Joining Stoker in the middle of the order was senior second baseman Kaitlin Paterson, who was tabbed as a team leader by head coach Breanne Gleason prior to the senior. Paterson got off to a strong start by collecting two hits and two runs scored.

With Stoker on the mound and the team’s offense impressing, the Blue Devils were able to come away with a seven-to-three victory in their first game of the 2019 season.

Against St. Bonaventure, Central’s bats stayed hot as they mercied the Bonnies 9-0 over five innings.

Bolan once again led the charge for the Blue Devils, driving in four runs while smacking her second home run in that many games.

Also driving in a run was freshman catcher Rian Eigenmann, who led off for the Blue Devils in her first two games with the team. She collected two hits in the pair of games.

On the mound for the Blue Devils was sophomore Ashley Antonazzo, who went the full five innings while yielding no runs on five hits. She only gave up two free bases while striking out five Bonnies. Last season, Antonazzo walked more batters than she struck out, so this start is a sign of good things to come for the second-year player.

The Blue Devils were supposed to play Seton Hall in their home-opener on Tuesday, but the game was canceled. They will be back in action on Friday when they have a doubleheader at Morgan State before taking on Providence on Saturday and Sunday. They will not play their first game at CCSU Softball Field until March 23, when they take on Iona and Siena in a doubleheader.