Women’s Basketball Struggling Once Again

Trevi Alickolli, Social Media Editor

Flashback to Feb. 2, Central Connecticut women’s basketball defeated conference rival Bryant on a last-second three-pointer by Bruna Vila Artigas. That was the last victory for the team, as they have since lost their last three games.

The Blue Devils had two games scheduled for this past week, both away from Detrick Gymnasium.

The number one ranked and only undefeated team in the Northeast Conference Robert Morris hosted Central on Monday and the NEC powerhouse did not disappoint.

The Colonials raced away with this one, 60-40, as Central was held to single-digit total scoring in three of the four quarters of play.

The Blue Devils scored just six points in the second quarter and nine in the third and fourth.

In a mostly forgettable game, sophomore center Ashley Berube secured a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds. This was her fifth double-double performance of the season.

The Colonials dominated on the defensive end, but that comes as no surprise, as they are ranked the number one defensive team in the conference. That is how they win games. If Central had any hopes of winning this one, they would have had to overcome a great defensive team in Robert Morris and they simply were not able to do that.

CCSU shot 26.9 percent from the field and teams cannot defeat the number one team in the conference shooting at that mark.

After a bit of a break, the Blue Devils faced Wagner on Saturday and despite putting together a better overall performance, they fell to the Seahawks for their third straight loss, 70-62.

In a game that featured 10 lead changes, the Blue Devils were hanging around for most of this game.

In fact, Central outplayed Wagner in some key areas, shooting a better field goal percentage, getting more points off of turnovers and more points in the paint.

These factors usually mean a Central victory, but that has not been the case lately.

Andi Lydon and Kiana Patterson led the way on Saturday for the Blue Devils. Lydon scored 19 points in a very efficient manner, shooting 8-13 (62 percent) from the field and 3-4 from downtown (75 percent). In addition, she added six rebounds, two assists, two steals, and a block.

Patterson added 16 points, two rebounds, and an assist.

The Blue Devils are just barely hanging around the last spot for the playoffs as they are currently tied with Fairleigh Dickinson for the eighth seed.

If they want to guarantee their participation in this year’s tournament, they will have to start playing better basketball as a team.

There are six games remaining in the regular season and they are all conference opponents.

All but two, Fairleigh Dickinson and LIU Brooklyn, are higher seeds than Central as of Saturday’s games.

Though the team is currently struggling, they control their own destiny going forward. Their next opportunities to do so will come against Saint Francis (BKN) and Sacred Heart.